ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:01 am 

Hello. I was recently diagnosed with genital herpes via outbreak. That was all the information I got from the doctor: You have genital herpes. Thanks, Doc. What does this mean? I have a really awesome boyfriend and he doesn't have herpes and I don't want to transmit it. What do we do? Cling wrap my entire body while using condoms and rubber gloves? Can he still finger me? Is oral sex out? I haven't had any symptoms of oral herpes is there a chance that I might still have it and not know? Can I kiss people? If someone uses my razor will they get herpes? Can I transmit it by getting into hot tubs with others? I'm so lost. Is there anywhere to get a bunch of free information? I'm scared to let my boyfriend touch me and he's amazing and I really don't want this to ruin our relationship. I'm so overwhelmed. HELP! :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:27 pm 

welcome to the forum!

what testing did you have done? do you know if you have hsv1 or hsv2?

has your partner been tested? assume nothing about his status if he hasn't been. also is this the same partner you've been with since your diagnosis?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:47 am 

My partner is a new partner. My partner (the one that I believe gave it to me) has been tested, but his blood work won't be back till today or tomorrow and we have ceased communication. The doctor didn't do any blood work on me he just looked at my sores and said, "Yep, that's genital herpes." and that's about all the information I got. Any help or information would be much appreciated. Do I need to get a blood test to figure out which strain?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:15 pm 

yes indeed you will need to pursue further testing for this. you and your new partner can't make educated decisions until you both know who has what and where. Have you ever been tested for herpes before? if this is a newly acquired infection, it can take a few months until you figure out which type you have too :(

the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a free online resource that I highly recommend. Terri Warren is on the board here at asha and is tops in her field! You can read the handbook online or print it out for free. she also has a terrific book called "the good news about the bad news" that is reasonably priced on amazon too. also be sure to check out her patient counseling video on her site too.

you only will transmit your herpes in a hot tub if you are having sex in a hot tub.

no one should ever use your razor! everyone in a household should have their own towels, washcloth, toothbrush, razors and those body buff thingees. very common germs are easily transmitted through sharing them so it should always be avoided.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]