ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: HSV2 on lips?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 pm 

I have a hard time telling when I am having an outbreak. I find I am generally "uncomfortable" ever since I got diagnosed in April. I don't know if it is the Houston heat that is making it worse, or what.

I take Valtrex 1x per day and am supposed to increase to 2x day when I'm having an outbreak for 3 days. I've noticed a pattern that I have sores when I'm menstruating. Other than that, I don't get the typical "blisters" you see on the images of HSV on the internet. I will just get this ulcer looking thing in my genital area, and that is when I know I"m having an outbreak.

This week, I've had not only the burning "down there" but also I've noticed when I drink juice that my lips burn. When I had my first outbreak I had some kind of "ulcer" type things.. one on my lower lip, and one inside my mouth. This week I"m wondering if the burning lips (they burn in three distinct spots) are HSV2 outbreak. I don't mean to be crude, but I do self-examine a lot to try to help know if my discomfort is an outbreak or just discomfort... again I don't get the blister looking things. Just randomly I'll notice an ulcer-type thing "down there." I had burning down there to the point of it waking me up last night, but no visible ulcer things. So is this an outbreak or not?

Any suggestions? How do I know for sure it's time to increase my valtrex to 2x day? Also, if I am having HSV2 sores on my lips, does that mean that my lips are shedding the virus and so I can be contagious that way? Am I depositing HSV2 on my lip gloss applicator when I apply lip gloss? Can someone who drinks from my cup when I have these lip "ulcers" catch lip HSV2? Kind of like you can catch cold sores?

And how do you get herpes in your eyes? My obgyn said that unless you touch a sore down there and then touch your eye, it's unlikely that it will spread. But I have read on some of the herpes info sites that you shouldn't share towels because HSV2 could be spread that way. So if HSV2 can live on your towel, couldn't it live on your skin from the time you get out of the shower until the time you pop your contacts into your eyes? I just don't want to spread my herpes all over. How is it that some of the internet images show herpes on fingers and elbows? How can that be prevented/treated?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: HSV2 on lips?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:43 am 

typically hsv2 doesn't reoccur when you have it orally. if you have oral symptoms you are wondering about, only thing to do is to be seen that day or the next and get them cultured.

if you are still getting symptoms monthly genitally, best to try the 1gm daily dose of valtrex suppressively.

Your current genital symptoms sound worth being seen about. get tested properly for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally to rule those out.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]