ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:55 am 

here is my story:
Two weeks ago I had unprotected sex with my ex. I hadn't slept with anyone since him, but I learned afterward that he might have. About 2 or 3 days later, I started experiencing some vaginal irritation, that has continued through today: burning, itching (including anal itching), soreness, and occasional pangs in my butt. I've been away from home and my doctor this summer (we had broken up because I moved away for grad school), so I didn't go to see someone right away. I recently went to planned parenthood, though, because I was getting very nervous and generally freaking out. The nurse practitioner dismissed concerns about herpes because she didn't see any lesions. She did a wet smear, and said it wasn't yeast or a bacterial infection, but she did see an overgrowth of lactobacilli, which she said could mimic an infection. I was actually diagnosed with cytolytic vaginosis last year, by a different doctor, but it felt completely different then. The nurse was sure that this was the problem, though, and prescribed baking powder sitz baths.

Do you think that this sounds right? I would still like to get a herpes blood test, but I know it won't be accurate for another few months. Before I went to planned parenthood, I had practically convinced myself that I had herpes, and while I would like to believe I don't, I'm having a hard time trusting the nurse's diagnosis.

Thank you so much - I really appreciate these boards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:17 pm 

I'd trust what you were told. She had an up close and very personal look at your genitals and I assume in your vagina and on your cervix. She saw no lesions. She also from the sounds of things examined your vaginal secretions under the microscope to quickly get you answers as to an overgrowth of lactobacillus. Really no reason to doubt what you were told especially since you have a prior history of it too.

if you really need the peace of mind you can get a type specific herpes igg blood test 3 months after the last time you had sex.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]