ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:39 pm 

I have become confused by the information provided by 2 separate obgyn and the various information on the internet. Please see below my various test results and time-line of possible exposure. If I understand correctly any reading for HSV 1 + 2 HerpeSelect AB Tests that does not fall within the index 0.00 - 0.89 is POSITIVE, and that there is no such thing as being "EXPOSED" only. I have never had an out-break or any symptoms to my knowledge.

After having unprotected sex with a new partner in 2009 I was concerned and had a full STD screening done. See info below. Prior to this, it was never indicated that I tested positive for any type of STD. I was always negative.

HSV 2 IGG HerpeSelect AB >5
Range A
Possible Exposure: 11/06/09
Tested: 11/18/09
Interpretation: Positive; Doctor did not suggest re-testing as test result was 5 meaning I had Herpes.

Doctor did not test for HSV 1 as she said 90% of the population tests positive for antibodies. Could a HSV 2 positive result be a misdiagnosis of HSV 1?

I informed my partner and he went and got tested. He was told he did not have Herpes. I did not see his results, but did not fully believe him as he was the only partner since my last check-up/STD screening. We did not continue to see each other sexually from that point on.

I have not had any outbreaks or symptoms I am aware of since testing positive. Dr. says I could be asymptomatic as she said that obvious symptoms usually occur within 1 - 3 weeks of exposure. She said that the high fever/flu-like symptoms I had may have been an "outbreak", prior to my STD test. I was treateed however by my Primary Care Dr. prior to STD screening for a persisting cough/cold and stomach flu (lasted 5 days). I did not only have a high fever but I also had diarrhea / vomiting and terrible cold /cough and was told I had the stomach flu which was rampant at the time. When I went for STD test, I was just recovering from sickness. Could this effect test?

I went to a new obgyn recently after having unprotected sex (I KNOW!) with a new partner (he was informed of my diagnosis) to be tested again for all STDs, and my test results were the same but her interpertation was different, meaninng her office did not call me to tell me I was positive for Herpes as the other OBGYN did. I called her inquiring about my test results when I hadn't heard back.

HSV 1 IGG HerpeSelect AB > 5
HSV 2 IGG HerpeSelect AB > 5
Possible Exposure: 08/05/2010
Tested: 8/22/2010
Interpretation: Positive
Note: I was told by new obgyn that a "single positive result only indicates previous immunological exposure and the level of antibody response may not be used to determine active infection or disease type". She said my less than 5 reading indicates exposure but not conclusively positive for Herpes. She said I could be asymptomatic as I have not had any visible signs of "outbreaks", but most likely I am not positive. She was less concerned as the index was less than 5.

I am baffled. Should I get tested again? The old obgyn suggested a viral load test - does this make sense? Which doctor is correct? How can I have 2 different readings and interpretations? Do I have Herpes 1 and 2?

Thank you for any and all help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:29 pm 

I'm already helping you with this on medhelp but I believe there you posted your repeat test results as being less than 5, not greater than 5 like you did here. please double check how you posted on medhelp ( I"m gracefromhhp there ) and correct as necessary so I can amend the advice I already gave there if necessary. thanks!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]