ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dormancy of HSV 2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:29 pm 

I have had my first HSV outbreak that consisted of one single sore that was cultured positive for HSV 2. I have had only one partner in the last 20 years, neither my partner or I have ever had an outbreak before and have not had other partners in 20 years. Can the virus be dormant for this long?

Post subject: Re: Dormancy of HSV 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:48 am 

has your partner been tested yet to know their status?

Indeed yes you could be infected and not realize it for this long. Over 90% of folks who have hsv2 have no idea they have it until tested.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:04 pm 

No he has not yet been tested. How likely is a reoccurrence now that the first one has happened? thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:16 pm 

only time will tell. no way to know if this is a newly acquired infection for you or just your first obvious recurrence of a previous infection just from a lesion culture. did you by chance also have a type specific herpes igg blood test done at the same time?

when is your partner getting tested?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:23 pm 

No blood test just the culture that my physician said came back as HSV 2. Would the blood test add anything useful to the diagnosis or treatment? My partner will get tested next month with his next MD visit. I know the immediate assumption is that he had some other relationship but I believe he did not. We were both quite active prior to this 20 year relationship and either or both of us could have had the virus. thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:17 pm 

A blood test at the time of your lesion would've helped you figure out if it was a newly acquired infection for you or not. The window of opportunity for this can be as little as 2 weeks so you would need tested sooner rather than later for this to be helpful. if hubby tests negative for hsv2 then you know you've had this since before you met him and just never realized it.

keep asking questions!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]