ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Viral Shedding
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:18 am 

When you say that we shed from the ano-genital area, does that mean only between our legs if we don't have an OB? Does the virus shed from my pubic bone (where my jeans zip) or from my butt crack if I don't have an OB in either area? I am around young children a lot and want to make sure I understand what areas are contagious.

Post subject: Re: Viral Shedding
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm 

we do not have the type of contact with children it takes to transmit our genital herpes to them. No matter how low your jeans or even if you frequently wear a bathing suit around children either.

the anogenital area we shed from is basically the soft tender mucosal skin in the genital area - not places anyone is coming in contact with without intimate contact.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:21 pm 

That's a relief. So, I don't shed from my butt crack or pubic bone area?

Does that mean it's not necessary to wash my hands after changing my pants as long as I have underwear on? And, if one of the kiddos grabs the back of my pants and brushes my plumber's crack I should just take a deep breath and let it go?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:34 pm 

wash your hands after using the bathroom or touching yourself intimately. otherwise no reason to wash your hands because of your herpes.

no worries when you haven't had a chance to hike your pants back up after standing up either and someone runs up and grabs you like lil kids do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:24 am 

I feel like all the sites have different answers to what is safe to do and what isn't around young kids. It's very confusing. Things like the safety of sharing a bathroom, etc., seem like they get different answers. I think it's just overwhelming sometimes.

Anyway, I just want to make sure I understand where I am shedding from. Based on your answers, I do NOT shed from my butt crack or pubic bone area. Is that right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 am 

This site is based on facts and isn't gloom and doom and meant to scare you out of your wits! You really have to be careful where you get info from. You do not shed the virus from your butt crack!!! You will not get herpes from sharing a bathroom with anyone either. You don't have to do anything special because you have herpes unless it involves intimate contact with a partner and even at that precautions are minimal.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]