ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 am 

Hi,
I have some questions about oral herpes, and i really need to know the answers. Let me give you some scenarios...
1. If the cashier in grocery, have a cold sore on the lips, give biscuit or something in to my toddler hands, is there a chance for herpes transmission? ( If he touching his nose or something before that)
2. If there is worker with col sore in the market and he manage the vegetables for example, can I cach herpes if I get vegetables and after that I touch my mouth?
3. How long is cold sore contagious? If somebody had one, and there is a ping spot in the area, is he still contagious? Can he kiss my toddler?
4. When my daughter was 1 year old, my uncle kissed her face. After that I saw that he is with a cold sore. After two days, she was with fever and enlarged tonsils. Could that be first infection with herpes?

Thank you!

p.s. My English is not very good, I hope you'll understand my questions :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:42 pm 

1. If the cashier in grocery, have a cold sore on the lips, give biscuit or something in to my toddler hands, is there a chance for herpes transmission? ( If he touching his nose or something before that)
no

2. If there is worker with col sore in the market and he manage the vegetables for example, can I cach herpes if I get vegetables and after that I touch my mouth?
no

3. How long is cold sore contagious? If somebody had one, and there is a ping spot in the area, is he still contagious? Can he kiss my toddler?
cold sores are potentially contagious until they have reached the scab stage and/or until completely healed and the skin is pretty much back to normal. sometimes you still see a bit of a pink spot there for a few days after the scab has fallen off - that's ok and not an issue.

4. When my daughter was 1 year old, my uncle kissed her face. After that I saw that he is with a cold sore. After two days, she was with fever and enlarged tonsils. Could that be first infection with herpes?
It's impossible to tell at this point. An initial oral herpes infection can present that way. If she doesn't get obvious cold sores, no easy way to know if she has hsv1 orally until she's a teenager and the blood tests we have are effective.

Your english seems fine but if there is anything I said that you don't understand, please ask and I'll try to clarify it for you!

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:28 pm 

Thank you, Betsy! I understand everything :)
I read the forum and I become to the same answers, but I can't understand why... For example why my toddler won't infect with the virus in the first situation- because the virus is inactive when it meet the oxygen or because the virus is not enough on the biscuit?
There is 1001 versions in internet...
The 3th question was because my mother want to visit us this week and she have ping spot under her nose. The scab fells before week and we do not know is it a good idea to kiss the baby.

My husband was with cold sore when the baby was 2 weeks old. The doctors scared us then. I can't remember what is to be not afraid of herpes, and I have oral one.

I am from Bulgaria. The information in bulgarian pages is one, just copy-paste.
Thank you very much for the answers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:50 pm 

Just avoiding kissing a small child/infant and sharing drinks with them when anyone has an obvious cold sore does go a long way. Once a child is toddler age, the risks from acquiring oral herpes are pretty low. I'm not sure of the rates of hsv1 infection in Bulgaria but I'm sure they are at least the same as the US which means that 1 out of every 4 children has hsv1 orally by the time that they start kindergarten. it's very common and not many of us make it through life without it.

your mother's cold sore sounds healed. avoiding kissing infants on the lips and eyes is always a good idea in general. once they reach the toddler stage, it's less of an issue in general.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:57 am 

Thank you, Betsy!
Actually the statistic here may be is like the Italian one. I can't convent my uncle that the herpes is contagious.
Thank you I am more relaxed now for my daughter. I was more scared from herpes in the eye, because she have problem with one of the eyes from birth. I suppose that somebody must kiss somebody else in the eyes for that to happened, am I right?
Practically in her age (18monts) she can get herpes just if somebody with one kiss her, not from inanimate objects. If somebody do not wash his hands after he touch the sore that is not a problem. Am I right?
And other... The sore is contagious the first 2-3 days, after that dries and it is more safe, after that fells and there is just scar, am I right? :)
I wont just to summarize everything in my (and my husband) head.
Thank you and have a nice day!
Actually you may be sleep right now :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:39 pm 

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_le ... herpes.cfm this is in english but it has terrific info on oral herpes. If your uncle can read english, it has terrific information for him.

I'm sure if your daughter's eye issues were due to herpes, her doctor would've told you.

probably closer to 4 or 5 days that the cold sore is contagious. If you take a course of oral antivirals ( famvir, acyclovir or valtrex ) when you first feel like a cold sore is about to start, you can shorten the duration of it and speed healing. You sometimes even can completely ward one off if you start it early enough.

sometimes toddlers can get oral herpes from sharing toys ( think how they drool over everything and put everything in their mouths ). Usually it's kisses that transmit it. Never allow anyone to "clean" off a bottle or pacifier with their mouth either.

when you know you've touched a cold sore, washing your hands is a good idea though if you forget, it's still not likely to cause them to contract oral herpes from your hands.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:42 pm 

Thanks again!
betsyb1967 wrote:
I'm sure if your daughter's eye issues were due to herpes, her doctor would've told you.
betsy

I did not mean that, the problem is other- cyst, not herpes. Just the "ping eye" is the thing that scare me when we talk for oral herpes at all, and that's may be is because we have problem with the eyes yet.

I already read the link that you suggest, and here I just clear what I did not understand.

Thank you very much, Betsy!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]