ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recently diagnosed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:34 pm 

Betsy,

I am a 52 year old single woman who was recently diagnosed with genital herpes by doing a lesion culture. Yes, I was devastated, went through the emotions, etc...I've been on here alot trying to educate myself on this new dreaded adventure that is in my future. It has helped somewhat. I know how I got, I know it's not going away, I know how to doctor it to make it feel better, but I'm still having a hard time accepting it, and telling someone before I have sex with them. I live in a somewhat small town in Florida. I've lived there for 30 years, worked in the judicial system for many years, and basically know just about everyone. I can't bring myself to tell anyone, for fear it will leak out and the whole town will be talking about me. I've been single for a very long time, and have dated off and on. I wished someone would have told me they had herpes before giving it to me. It's possible they did not know either. I have always been a worrier and stressor, about everything. This finding has really devastated me to wanting to isolate myself, stay home, sleep all of the time, and not date. I am an attractive woman and men are always coming on to me which was flattering. Now that I have herpes, I am afraid to go out of my house, for fear that a man that I might be attracted to myself will want to date, etc...I can not tell anyone about this. I know it's not fair to the man I decide to have sex with or a relationship with. I don't know what to do. I do take acyclovir 200mg 3 times a day. Please help me with dealing with all of this.

Thanks,

Falling Apart Inside

Post subject: Re: Recently diagnosed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:02 pm 

welcome to the board!

I really recommend you check out Terri Warren's book "the good news about the bad news". It's just published this year and is a terrific resource that really goes into details about the psychological side of herpes as well as it has tons of info about hsv2 in general. it's under $15 on amazon. I think it's really helpful with helping folks to learn not to fear their herpes.

have you considered once daily valtrex for suppressive therapy or 400mg 2x/day acyclovir? Just less of a hassle than 3x/day acyclovir.

keep asking questions :)

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:50 am 

Betsy,

I took a CNA class back in March of this year and have my CNA license. I went to apply for a part time job as a CNA. They asked if I had any communicable diseases. They need verification from a physician. When I thought I had herpes and went and had the culture done, I was also tested for other STD's, which all came back negative except for Herpes 2. Should this prevent me from being a CNA. I know you are an RN with Herpes. I left a voicemail for my GYN's nurse to contact me to send my test results. Do I have to disclose the Herpes results to this employer? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:34 pm 

No you do not. You do not have the type of contact with patients that it takes to transmit it so it's not an issue and you don''t have to disclose it.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]