ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: testing accuracy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:01 pm 

I have recently been diagnosed with genital herpes via culture (type 2). I have had several blister/ lesions in my vaginal/ rectal region and flulike symptoms for over 2 weeks. I also have unbearable groin pain, pain in my legs, feet and sweeling of my lower legs and feet. My first question is this...is the leg pain normal? The biggest question I have is this: my boyfriend was tested the day i got tested via blood test. He has never had an outbreak. His test came back negative. The dr. told me this is a primary outbreak i got it within the last two weeks. I havent been with anyone else. Can this be a false negative? they told him he was clear there were no antibodies for the virus. I am nearly 40 years old and have had 2 partners in my life (one for over 20 years), so i dont sleep around...very concerned.

Last edited by sweetiesparta on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: testing accuracy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm 

I have the same exact thing going on... so i dont have the answers, just want you to know your not alone. I have pain in my right thigh and the top of my left foot and my low spine is killing me. I'm on day 22 of this awful ordeal.
Come to find out, he had the wrong test, they did IGM on him and not IGG. So we are waiting on the results of the IGG later today (look at his paperwork). Regardless of the test result... he gave it to me, that I know.

J.

PS.. see my other post.. his results just came in positive.. stupid IGM test.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:18 pm 

can you ask your bf to get his test results to give to you to post here? all I need to see are the numeric results to make sure he was properly tested - e.g hsv1 igg .48 and hsv2 igg .29 or whatever they are. that way we can be sure he was accurately tested.

could you have had hsv2 prior to meeting this partner and just never knew it and are just now getting obvious symptoms? Indeed that can also be the case. About 1/2 of all presumed newly acquired infections are actually just the first obvious recurrence of a prior infection. symptoms just now being evident doesn't mean you had to have contracted hsv2 just within the last few weeks. do you know if your lesion culture was typed to know indeed it is hsv2 or if it was just hsv+ and assumed hsv2 since it was genital? also did your provider do any igg blood testing on you?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 pm 

Thanks so much for your reply....yes, I will have him get a copy and post it here. He tested negative for both types, however he did have coldsores when he was younger he said, none lately.

The doctor did not do a blood test, just culture. I asked three different times and the nurse said it is hsv2. I thought it was gonna be type 1 because we did indeed have oral sex.
I was never tested prior to this so i cant say i didnt have it...but i am 99 percent sure i didnt. i got married out of highschool and i was my husbands first partner, to my knowledge he never cheated. I know my boyfriends exwife cheated alot so that doesn't help. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:59 pm 

certainly ask to see the culture results yourself to make sure they really did type it. sometimes they don't type cultures, just assume it's hsv2 if genital and of course that can be an issue.

did they also test you for yeast and bacterial vaginal infections when you were seen?

soaking in the bathtub with epsom salts thrown in can be helpful for the ob as well as the leg pain. Also take plenty of ibuprofen for pain relief unless you have a medical reason not to.

what antiviral did you they give you? what dose and for how many days?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]