ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 am 

I recently became intimate with by boyfriend of 3 months. I noticed he had 3 dark brown scabs on his penis near the head. A week later they were white scabs. When I asked him about the scabs he said he got them from masterbating. I now have bumps on my vaginal area and they itch. Is it possible he has given me herpes? Also,

Is the herpes virus in the semen/vaginal fluid?
is the virus in urine?
can i breast feed?
can i have oral sex performed on me?
Do you think that there will ever be a cure?

All i can think of for now
Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

I recently became intimate with my boyfriend of 3 months. I noticed he had 3 dark brown scabs on his penis near the head. A week later they were white scabs. When I asked him about the scabs he said he got them from masterbating. I now have bumps on my vaginal area and they itch. Is it possible he has given me herpes? Also,

It's hard to say what is the most likely cause of the bumps you saw on your boyfriend, or your bumps. Herpes is not the only possible explanation, but certainly is one potential cause. It may be that you don't have an STD at all, but you really need to be checked out by a clinic. If you can go while symptoms are present that's good, but go regardless.

Is the herpes virus in the semen/vaginal fluid?
is the virus in urine?

Herpes is a skin virus, so the rule of thumb with transmission is skin-to-skin contact. The virus can be found in fluids like saliva and urine, though. When the virus is being shed in the genital area, it can be found in sexual secretions (probably very often related to the presence of lesions). I don't think urine is regarded as a risk for transmission, but oral HSV might be shed in saliva and a risk when kissing someone. The focus on transmission should remain direct genital-to-genital or oral contact.

can i breast feed?

Herpes isn't transmitted through breast milk. The one precaution might be the unusual circumstance where a woman with herpes has sores on her chest or breasts. Apart from that, no.

can i have oral sex performed on me?

The main precaution here is not to allow someone to perform oral sex while sores are present. Herpes can be transmitted even when no symptoms are present, but the risk is probably greater with genital to genital contact.

Do you think that there will ever be a cure?

There are no medical cures for viral infections, and nothing on the horizon as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]