ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Here goes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:19 am 

Well my test results are positive for h2. I had the test some days. At first the gyn said it was nothing - then she took another look and said you have herpes2. I asked if she was sure and she said yes (it was almost as if she was offended that I questioned her). She said she knew what she was talking about, she has seen it hundreds of times before. She took a swab sample and sent it to the lab, and gave me a prescription for Acyclovir 400mg and Lidocaine hcl 2% jelly. I think i may want a second opinion only because at first she said it was nothing. Only when I pointed out that one of the pimples was a little painful did she say i had herpes. I thought I had ingrown hairs from shaving so in the beginning I thought nothing of it (until I say scabs on my boyfriends penis) which i wrote about in an earlier posting (thanks for the info Fredo). Also she told me not to use the Lidocaine jelly unless I absoutely needed to. She make it seem as though she did not want me to really use it. Well when your doctor tells you to use only if needed, I tend to not use it. So far i have not used the lidocaine jelly. Now i must have a talk with my boyfriend about this sad situation. Now for my set of questioins.

- Should I get a second opinion?
- Is acyclovir considered a suppressive therapy?
- Is the lidocaine jelly something most people with the herpes infection would use?
- My boyfriend likes to do vaginal oral on me and he swallows. Since I had the pumps when he did this will he now get herpes 1?
- He also kissed me afterwards - will i get herpes 1?
- I have done oral on him when he had the scaps - will i get herpes 1 from doing oral on him?
- If you have oral or missionary sex and wash off immediately with warm water and soap does that cut down on spreading the disease?

I am very upset. I just want to stay in my room and never come out again. How could i have been so stupid. Thanks so much for your time and help.

Last edited by rcturn46 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Here goes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm 

- Should I get a second opinion?
you had a + lesion culture for hsv2. It doesn't get any more accurate than that

- Is acyclovir considered a suppressive therapy?
you can take any of the 3 herpes antivirals either episodically or suppressively

- Is the lidocaine jelly something most people with the herpes infection would use?
lidocaine gel is a topical anesthetic. It helps with pain relief on the lesions. You can use it several times a day for pain relief if needed. I frequently recommend topical anesthetics to folks here on the board for pain relief.

- My boyfriend likes to do vaginal oral on me and he swallows. Since I had the pumps when he did this will he now get herpes 1?
hsv2 stays hsv2 regardless of its location. if your bf already has hsv2 himself, his performing oral on you is very low risk.

- He also kissed me afterwards - will i get herpes 1?
He won't transfer hsv2 from your genital area to your oral area from performing oral on you and then kissing you afterward.

- I have done oral on him when he had the scaps - will i get herpes 1 from doing oral on him?
odds are you would've had obvious oral symptoms if you had contracted it orally from him.

- If you have oral or missionary sex and wash off immediately with warm water and soap does that cut down on spreading the disease?
no it does not. the virus doesn't lay on the skin and work its way down into the body.

it's most helpful when you just keep asking your questions all in the same post. Let's just keep them all in this one from this point forward - thanks!

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:16 am 

I had a culture test for hsv2- it came out positive and then I had another culture test performed 5 days later and it was negative. Last week I decided to have a blood test IgG for HSV 1 & 2. The number results were 1.64 for hsv1 and 4.35 for hsv2. These numbers are really high. My question is - do the high numbers mean I am highly contagious to others? And is there anyway to get the numbers to come down by taking medication. Also, do you know any reason why I would be hsv positive (performed by my physician) and then a week later be hsv negative (performed by the clinic). I am really worried now because my numbers are so high. Thanks in advance for your answers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:38 pm 

these numbers aren't "really high" actually. They are just positive results. They are meaningless as far as the severity of your infection , how long you've been infected or anything like that.

not surprising at all that your repeat culture for herpes was negative 5 days after the first one. That was pretty far into the healing process plus you had been on acyclovir too.

has your partner been tested yet to know his status?

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:25 pm 

No. he has not yet been tested. He keeps telling me he is clean because he was tested about 8 months ago. I am nervous to bring up the subject with him again. I have not told him about the blood test I have taken. I think he just wants to believe the false-negative test results that I took earlier. I am scared of what he will think of me when I do get up the nerve to tell him of my 3rd and final test results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm 

your partner might not have even been tested for herpes as part of his last std testing. encourage him to get tested again to see what his status is.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:52 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
your partner might not have even been tested for herpes as part of his last std testing. encourage him to get tested again to see what his status is.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:56 am 

I have a few questions after reading some of the postings.
1. What is a gardasil shot? Is this a shot I should have aleady received or should get?

2. Since being diagnosed with hsv1&2 I am always looking and checking for bumps. I had a really small pimple in my clitoris area (I mean really really small). How can I tell which pimple is from hsv and which just a regular pimple if there are no other signs other than it looking like a pimple? Sometimes I think I am imagining pimples.

3. I also now have small bumps on my face. Around the chin, mouth, and cheek area. Am I having an hsv1 ob?

4. I am taking acyclovir for hsv2. Is there something different to take for hsv1?

Thanks - this posting really helps to answer a lot of my questions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:13 pm 

1. What is a gardasil shot? Is this a shot I should have aleady received or should get?
it's the hpv vaccine approved for males and females between the ages of 9-26

2. Since being diagnosed with hsv1&2 I am always looking and checking for bumps. I had a really small pimple in my clitoris area (I mean really really small). How can I tell which pimple is from hsv and which just a regular pimple if there are no other signs other than it looking like a pimple? Sometimes I think I am imagining pimples.
odds are that wasn't due to herpes. typically your herpes will itch or hurt.

3. I also now have small bumps on my face. Around the chin, mouth, and cheek area. Am I having an hsv1 ob?
no reason to think that these are herpes either. if you are concerned, follow up on them with your provider.

4. I am taking acyclovir for hsv2. Is there something different to take for hsv1?
it treats both hsv1 and hsv2

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:17 am 

Well my boyfriend was finally tested and the results are positive for hsv 1&2. Since we are both infected with hsv 1&2 does it matter if we have sex with an ob?

What is the best type of condom to use or does it even matter now since we both are infected? And does he have to use a condom at all since we are both infected?

Can he perform oral on me and can I perform oral on him?

He doesn't want to take medication - he says it will go away on it's own. Is it ok for him not to take any medication?

Thank you for your advice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 pm 

he never has to treat his herpes if he doesn't want to. Treating your herpes only helps you have ob's heal faster ( when taken epsiodically ) or reduce ob's and shedding ( when taken suppressively ). It's not a health risk to not treat herpes.

The only precaution to take when you both have hsv2 is to not perform oral on obvious genital lesions. Otherwise if it doesn't hurt, yes it's even ok to have sex during recurrences. Condom use because of herpes isn't an issue if you both have it.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:34 am 

Hi Betsy - I am back with more questions. I am really confused at times. I don't know if I am having an ob or if it is just my mind playing tricks on me. I am on daily suppressives. Here are my questions:

1. Am I having an outbreak of HSV1 if the area between my upper lip and nose is tingling and burning. I don't have any bumps, but the tingling and burning has been going happening on and off for 3 days now?

2. Can I kiss people in the cheek area or a quick kiss on the lips while I have this tinglinig and burning sensation?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 am 

tingling and burning can be any number of things. Are your lips chapped? have you had a cold recently? Is this the feeling you usually get before a cold sore starts?

You can kiss your regular partner since he also has hsv1. Social pecks aren't a big risk for other adults if this is oral herpes trying to reoccur but isn't causing a full blown cold sore due to your daily suppressive therapy.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:01 pm 

No, my lips are not chapped and I did not recently have a cold. So far I have not had any cold sores. Also, this is the first time I have had the tingling and burning feeling around my mouth and nose area.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:27 pm 

Hi Betsy! I have more questions. I seem to be having an ob every 2 weeks in the genetial area. The ob's last anywhere from 2-5 days. Also, the pimple is about the size of the tip of a writing pen (very small) but it itches and hurts. The pimple never turns into a blister. I still take my suppressive everyday but the ob's are often. Is it normal to have ob's so often? I'm so tired of this. :(

Thanks for your help

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next