ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:42 pm 

Hi all - new poster here...

I am a middle-aged male. I recently tested positive HSV-2 IgG AB Herpeselect test result (4.6) with a positive inhibition study result. Type 1 is negative. I have had no outbreaks that I am aware of either oral or genital. I got tested for everything as a sanity check, not expecting I would be infected with anything.

I am concerned that I don't know for certain where I have it or when I got it or under what circumstances I may have got it. I gave oral recently a few times and wonder about the probability of my female partner being infected. I am even worried a bit about kissing people.

All the reading I've done searching the internet makes it sound like oral HSV-2 is possible but rare (1-3% of all seropositive HSV-2?), but I have not seen studies or statistics to back this up. Specifically I'd like to know:

1. What is the statistical probability that I have oral HSV-2? i.e. ratio of known oral HSV-2 infections to total seropositives.

2. If I have HSV-2 orally, what is the asymptomatic shedding rate? I read in one study 0.1% and another, 1%.

3. What is the probability of transmission of oral HSV-2 to genital area during oral assuming I am shedding at the time?

4. What is the probability of transmission of oral HSV-2 to oral area during kissing assuming I am shedding at the time?

5. What is the probability of having HSV-2 in both genital and oral locations? If I have one encounter with someone who is infected and shedding and have both genital contact and oral-genital contact, could I be infected at both places at the same time? (I suppose so!)

6. If I have it at the genitals and have antibodies, and not orally, does it help to prevent oral infection?

7. I am taking Valtrex (generic) for the purpose of Reduction of Transmission only. The prescribing information refers to genital herpes only, not oral HSV-2. Is it known if it also reduces transmission of HSV-2 from the oral location? Does it reduce it by the same factor as for genital (50%)? I called GSK and they said they did not do any studies on this so they can't tell me anything.

Questions regarding genital HSV-2:
8. Assuming I have genital HSV-2, if a partner touches my penis with her fingers and then touches her genital area, can the virus be transferred?

9. I have read contracting herpes from a toilet seat is practically impossible. If the tip of my penis accidentally touches the inside rim of the bowl when I am seated in a public bathroom, could I be infected? Can HSV survive in someone's urine for a short time? Sorry, I know this sounds disgusting.

I find that trying to search for this information on the internet produces a large amount of conflicting, obsolete and/or incorrect information. I wish there was a consolidated resource that has everything you need to know about herpes and not just vague, ambiguous, and sometimes misinformed statements.

I don't expect answers to all these. Not knowing where I have this is especially frustrating. My doctor said just assume it's genital.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:02 am 

It's not likely that you have hsv2 orally. You've mentioned no symptoms orally to even make you suspicious of having it. Even if you do have it, it hardly sheds at all and isn't an issue whether it's oral sex or kissing.

your penis toucing the toilet seat isn't an issue.

you also are very unlikely to transmit the virus from a partner touching your genitals and then touching their own genitals.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

Are there areas of the skin on my partner that my genitals can come into contact with assuming no visible sores of course which are not likely to cause infection? Areas of her skin I should avoid touching? I read it's primarily genital/oral areas to avoid. Is it safe to rub the penis on buttocks? Legs? Breasts? Can I safely (for her) be given a "hand job"?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:34 pm 

you can get the risk of transmission to a female partner down to 2-3%/year regardless of the contact. If you have a negative partner, consider daily suppressive therapy to lower the risk to her overall. hand jobs are very low risk - she can get herpes on her hands but the risk of such is incredibly low. proper condom use is when the clothes come off, the condom goes on. it's still low risk from unprotected foreplay too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]