ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: coming to terms
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 am 

Hey! I'm Erika and i found out I have HSV2 6 months ago. I am 18 years old and so far I am having a hard time accepting that I have to live with this for the rest of my life especially since I am young. I recently just got a boyfriend and were going on a month. We have been talking though for 5 months before we became a couple. I'm stressing over when I should tell him about my condition. We are not sexually active yet and I know that I have to tell him before we sleep together. I don't know how long to wait because I don't want to tell him too soon and scare him away but I don't want to wait to long, because then it would look like I am stringing him along. Does anyone have advice on how I should handle this?

Thakns! Erika =]

Post subject: Re: coming to terms
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:32 pm 

Well let's start at the beginning - how were you diagnosed as having genital herpes? do you know if you have hsv1 or hsv2?

So how do you talk to a partner about this? Well it's something to talk about before every partner - your std testing and history, theirs, condom use and birth control. I usually approach it with just picking a time when we aren't really doing anything special and bring up the fact that I believe in being sexually responsible so we have a few things to discuss and go from there. Odds are partners aren't getting std testing so talk about their risk. also ask if they've had their gardasil shots and let them know if you have too.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm 

One night i slept with a guy not exactly in the right state of mind and did not even think about catching anything and a couple days later I had symptoms of herpes so I went to the health center at my college and got tested. I have HSV2 according to the doctor. I wanted to get the suppressive valtrex but the doctor at the health center would not prescribe it to me.

--Erika

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm 

what testing did they do? I'd err on the side of caution, ask for a copy of your results to make sure that indeed you were typed as having hsv2 too. Had you engaged in oral sex at all ? Hsv1 genitally is the biggest cause of genital herpes in your age group hence why I want to make sure that they did the proper testing for you.

have you ever read the free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:23 pm 

I am not sure which testing that they did but I will get a copy of my results. We did engage in oral sex so I will double check to make sure. I've never read that before, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 pm 

the handbook is good for you to refer to as well as it's helpful for partners to read through too. if you do have hsv2 genitally, You can get the risk of transmission to a male partner down to 1%/year with daily suppressive therapy, condom use and avoiding sex anytime you have anything going on genitally. did you by chance watch the patient counseling video too? it's also filled with helpful info.

ask any questions you have :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]