ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 am 

Hey Forum Family,

Got a question for you great people out there. My doctor informed me of a little trick his herpes patients use with Monistat. While working out and during the hot summer months, he says they smear a little Monistat in the genital areas to reduce the friction and sweat that can sometimes cause an outbreak. Also it helps keeps the yeast down ( which is what Monistat if for).

Some of my friends who have HSV-1 and/or HSV 2 says it works and well being the curious person I am , I've tried it during worksouts at the gym and well it seems to help reduce some friction and sweat and reduce the chance of an outbreak after a workout.

I know that sounds weird but any thoughts on this theory? My doc informed me she's even tried it for her own HSV-1 and it seems to help.

Thanks
Isis :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:43 pm 

Well I personally wouldn't do it myself - if you don't have yeast - there's no reason to treat for it. I also would hate to be setting myself up for resistant yeast to overgrow due to using yeast treatments needlessly. Also that stuff ain't all that cheap either! Also for some folks - topical yeast treatments irritate their skin and trigger recurrences ( I personally can't use them for that very same reason ) .

They make many different products to help reduce friction for athletes - body glide is one I think can think of and there are many, many others. There is also a product by monistat that is a liquid powder type product. You can also use plain ole, el cheapo corn starch ( yep the kind you cook with ) - sprinkle it all over your genital area to absorb excess moisture and reduce friction. That's probably the part of the monistat that is actually making a difference - the base it's in - not the actual fungal medication in it. Also if you are getting ob's that easy - daily suppressive therapy is an even better option for preventing them.

Working in healthcare for the last 20 years - I'm APPALLED of all the resistant strains of bacteria and fungus out there. I'm disappointed that a healthcare professional would even recommend advice like this to be honest.

Just my 2 cents.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:47 pm 

Appreciate that!! I may give the cornstarch a shot. I've only had two Obs since I was diagnosed with HSV-1 in January 2007. I've always been prone to yeast since high school so that may be the reason she reccommended it. We did discuss suppressive therapy but my OBs are too far and few between so episodic works fine for me.

I will go in for my annual torture , I mean pap in June ( LOL ) and my doc is retiring soon but her replacement has good creds and I got a chance to talk with her . Her knowledge and compassion is pretty awesome and so maybe it's time for some new school thought from the replacement. She is keeping me on Famvir for episodic treatment.

Thanks Ms. B for the input. I was wondering about that but I didn't think to put the cornstartch portion with the absorption and friction reduction and with me being a texas girl, I should know about cornstarch (laughing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:28 pm 

Do I even want to know what y'all do with cornstarch down there in texas? he he he ( btw the board is pg 13 I think...he he he )

Hopefully your hsv1 ob's will be few and far between and not be an issue anyways :)

If you are prone to vaginal yeast - have you looked into any the research dr gregor reid has done with probiotics and vaginitis? I've had terrific luck with fem dophilus by jarrow at keeping vaginits at bay myself.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:40 pm 

Defintely will take a look at the research for vaginitis from Dr. Reid and the fem dophilus by jarrow. Thank You Thank You Thank You.

P.S- Cornstarch just for cooking and as a drying agent for sweating, diaper rashes, working out , etc... . Ha Ha Ha Ha. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:12 am 

Oh, oh, oh - and here I thought you gals had some kinky sex things you did with cornstarch that I needed to learn ;) It's cold here up north so us gals don't often get a chance to have much fun without 4 layers of blankets over us...he he he

Really sometimes simple is best - no need to put $$$ into pricey powders, lotions and potions when you can just go to the kitchen for something helpful :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]