ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Eczema and herpes
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 pm 

I was recently tested and told I had genital herpes.
I have eczema all over my body and my baby has eczema all over his body as well. Could there be a risk of transmitting this to my baby through our open eczema sores because he is constantly scratching and so am I?

Post subject: Re: Eczema and herpes
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 am 

what testing did you have done for herpes yourself?

if you only have genital herpes, it's not an issue for your baby. we don't have the kind of contact it takes to transmit herpes to our family members through routine day to day contact. the virus is easily killed with soap and water too so just washing your hands after using the toilet or touching yourself intimately is all it takes to kill any virus on your hands.

I've seen eczema herpeticum twice in my career in children. Both cases were from oral herpes infections. The one the child contracted oral herpes and then from sucking on his fingers, transmitted it to his hands/arms on his eczema. The other was an infant who had eczema issues on his face and from an adult kissing him on the face, they transmitted hsv1 to his face. Since statistically 1 out of every 2-3 adults around your child has hsv1 orally and 1 out of every 3 children has hsv1 orally, it's really oral herpes that is the concern but even that risk is fairly low in general.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:06 pm 

I had my first outbreak a couple weeks ago and my gyno did a vaginal scrape of the sores. Then on the next visit he didnt tell me anything except well the test results came back and it's herpes. He gave me the pamphlet and that was it. I still feel really in the dark about this whole situation.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:13 pm 

Give the clinic a call monday and ask them if your lesion culture was hsv1 or hsv2+.

has your partner been tested yet to know their status?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 pm 

ok so I called and they said it wasthe type 2. Now I am having intense abdominal cramping and nausea...is this associated with an outbreak?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:56 pm 

no, it's not from your genital herpes.

has your partner been tested yet?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]