ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: HerpesSelect accuracy
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:44 pm 

My question concerns the accuracy of the HerpeSelect IgG test.

Over 15 years ago, I believe I had what were HSV symptoms in my genital region. Specifically, discomfort during urination and small, paper cut like nick on my shaft. I vaguely recall possible symptoms once after that initial time.

I only recently got tested. I took the HerpeSelect IgG test for both types. The results were negative. I was surprised by the results and I took the test again. Same negative results for both types.

I would like to believe I don't have anything, but I'm having trouble believing the results given the previously described symptoms I had years ago.

So, my questions are:

How accurate are the HerpeSelect IgG test results? Are the accuracy rates for all the different kinds of IgG tests the same? (I don't know if it was Capita, ELISA or what. I think it was done by Labcorp)

Is it possible for antibody levels to drop or fluctuate many years after getting HSV, producing a false negative? If not, what would produce false negative, aside from taking the test too soon or a lab error.

Are false negatives common?

Last, the only reason I'm questioning the results (and maybe sounding paranoid) is those symptoms I described. What else could they be, if not HSV?

I know that's a lot of questions I'm throwing at you. Whatever you can answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by unsure51 on Thu May 26, 2011 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:40 am 

I don't think what you had at the time was herpes. your symptoms were pretty mild and could've been from any number of things.

The herpeselect is 98% accurate for hsv2. You have no reason to think you have hsv2.

The herpeselect is 91% accurate for hsv1. could you have had hsv1 genitally? You could've but once again your symptoms were so mild I'm guessing they weren't herpes related.

so what do you do now? well you've covered your bases the best that you can and at this point, since you haven't had a recurrence in 15 years of symptoms, nothing else you can do. Not unusual to have some irritation causing genital symptoms. should they happen to reoccur, be seen and get a thorough work up done at that time.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:53 pm 

thank you, betsy. just a few quick follow up questions.

I wouldn't label them severe, but I don't know if I'd say the symptoms (burning urination/paper cut like slit on shaft) were mild. And even if they can be categorized as mild, comparatively, I thought some people only get mild symptoms, right?

Also, you say HepreSelect is 91% accurate for HSV 1. Do you know if the erroneous results are more often false negatives or false positives?

Last one-is it known what might cause an inaccurate HepreSelect test result for HSV 1?

Thank you again. This is a very useful website.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 am 

It's a false negative issue with the hsv1 igg. we don't know why it happens but it does.

Typically hsv1 genital symptoms aren't so "milld" and are pretty classic hence why I said what I did.

At this point , you might never figure out what caused your symptoms back then - could've even been an overuse issue that caused the skin to tear and some pain during urination. You've covered your herpes testing bases as best as you can at this point.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]