ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:27 pm 

I recently tested positive and it has weighed heavily on my life. I have some questions that I am confused about and can't seem to get an answer that seems legitamite from my healthcare provider. Here is a little background first.

I tested positive for the first time, in January of 2011. I had no symptoms or signs of the HSV2 (nor have I ever even had a cold sore, HSV1). I had gotten tested about 5 months prior to that, in September of 2010. It came back negative. I frequently get tested as it calms my obessive need to make sure everything is okay down there.

I had started dating someone new and wanted to redo a round of test for my own sanity. Everything came back negative except for the HSV2 (I didn't get tested for type 1, it seemed unnecessary). I assumed everything would come back fine and to my suprise I was wrong. I went back in to discuss the situation and try to calm my anxiety. I was handed pamphlets and sent on my way, not helpful. I have been lucky enough to work through the issues with my boyfriend, but still have anxiety about the future. Will I ever date again? Can I spread it from a towel, cup, toliet seat? I realize most of these fears come from a myth and a stigma about the virus.

I have been reading through many of these postings and an IGG? number keeps popping up. I have no idea what this means, and was curious if I should call my healthcare provider to get mine. I had blood drawn and sent to a lab, heard back roughly 4ish days later (not sure if that helps). I doubt this changes anything in my situation, but feeling some since of hope is helpful.

I love my boyfriend, but as everyone knows, sometimes things just don't work out. My fear is that, if this relationship doesn't work, what will I do? Be alone forever? I realize this post, is kind of scattered brain but anything that could be cleared up would be extremly helpful. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:52 pm 

I will gladly take a look at your igg blood test results if you call and get them to post here - e.g. hsv1 igg 7.9 and hsv2 igg .23 or whatever they are. I know you said you only got tested for hsv2 this last time - have you ever been tested for hsv1?

has your partner been tested to know his own status?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:31 pm 

I have never been tested for HSV 1, it didn't seem as important to me because ever since I can remember I've never had a cold-sore. Although, I've never had an OB either, so that is irrational thinking I suppose. I called my healthcare provider and for HSV2 my igg was 2.07. It was a HSV2 specific test.

As for my partner, he has not been tested. I recommended that he should after I found out. I have been taking an antiviral medication and using condoms to try to reduce the risk of him getting it. However, we were less careful prior to me finding out and I worry he may have gotten it. He doesn't seem to care to get tested because he is assuming he has already had it and was tested for everything in December (came back clear, he is also obessive about his sexual health).

I realize that you can not trace back when/where you got the virus from. However, my ex-boyfriends, ex-girlfriend, informed me she had it and assumed he did. I confronted him and he said he didn't. We broke up shortly after and he later told me he did indeed have it. So I got tested and it was negative, then this past test came back positive. I would never want to do that to someone, which is why I'm trying to get all of the facts so that I can try and still have a love life and live with this.

Should my new partner get tested? Also, what does the igg number mean? Should I get tested for HSV1? Will I ever have an OB, since I have yet to have one? If in fact it was from my ex it has been a year since the first time (not the last time) we were intimate.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:11 pm 

Your hsv2 igg is a low positive and needs confirmed with further testing. Your provider should've done so before ever putting you on antivirals!!! A herpes WB is the best test to get if you can . If your provider uses quest labs, it's #34534. It's a send out for every quest lab so if your local quest lab seems confused, tell them to look harder!!

it's also worthwhile to know your hsv1 status. Only 20-40% of the folks who have hsv1, get obvious cold sores to know it. You really can't assume anything about it without being tested.

Just make sure your partner was tested for herpes when he last had std testing. it's not a part of routine std testing so he'll have to check specifically to be sure.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]