ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:50 pm 

Hi,
I was diagnosed with herpes this may and have spent a lot of time on this board. This is my first post. On 4/17 my boyfriend and I returned from a week long cruise. Later that week I developed a "rash" on my lower back above my butt crack. It itched like crazy. I can't really describe it because I couldn't actually get a good look at it. My coworker (a RN) looked at it and said she thought it was herpes. I went to the MD the next day (4/29). By visual inspection the MD agreed she felt it was herpes. She did a blood test. Here are my results:

Component Latest Reference Range Results
HSV I IGG IMMNOBLOT IV 2.91
HSV I/II COMB AB IGM <=0.89 0.58
HSV II IGG IMMUNOBLT <=0.89 0.12

The MD was kind of a bitch. I don't have a PCP so I just made an appointment with the first person in the phone book who could take me the very next day. The MD wasn't interested in answering my questions and merely said "you've read WebMD and it is thorough so you really know everything you need to know." So needless to say I have little respect for her opinion and have really appreciated this website to help educate me and give me some sanity. You are very knowledgeable about all of this so I was hoping you could look at my results and let me know what you think. The MD says I have HSV 1 but not HSV 2, but she says "herpes is herpes" and it doesn't matter which I have. Are the results low or high? Should I get a second test done? Is there any way to know how long I have had this? I have only had sex with 2 people in my entire life (my current boyfriend since January and my ex husband June '06-January '08). My current boyfriend and I don't use protection. My ex husband and I always used protection (got divorced when I found out he was gay and was having an affair). Is there any way to know which one I got this from? How does the virus decide where to appear? To clarify why I am getting the rash on my butt but other people get it on their genitals? My sister gets it on her butt cheek. If I have another breakout will it be in the same spot (above my butt crack) or could it appear on my genitals?

Thank you for all that you do for our community. Your knowledge and compassion makes a huge difference to us. I was suicidal when I was diagnosed. I am an unmarried childless 31 year old female with old school values from a small town. This diagnosis was devastating to me. Fortunately I found your site soon after I was diagnosed and this site helped me put all of this in perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 pm 

Glad you've been able to get a lot of the information you needed here :)

It's really unfortunate that they did blood testing and not a lesion culture :( At this point you don't really have any answers yet. visual diagnosis is wrong 1/3 of the time which is why follow up testing is so important. this blood test was done at the time of your symptoms in april correct? Has your current partner been tested yet to know his status?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:27 pm 

Thank you for your response. Yes all the MD did was a blood test. The test was done approximately a week after the outbreak started. The MD said based on my results (listed above) that I have HSV 1 but not HSV 2. She gave me a script of Valtrex to take if I get another outbreak but said I don't need to take it daily at this time. I am going to my OBGYN on Wednesday. Should I have him do another test?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm 

My boyfriend got tested after I got diagnosed and his was negative for HSV 1 and 2. I haven't told me ex husband because I'm afraid he will tell people. I would like for him to get tested for his own awareness but I'm not willing to risk him telling people about my diagnosis.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:51 pm 

I'd repeat your herpes igg blood test just to err on the side of caution. If it's still only hsv1+, you still have no answers at this point unfortunately. Should you ever get a return of genital symptoms, be seen within 48 hours of the appearance of symptoms for a lesion culture and typing and go from there.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]