ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: question
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 am 

i have a question about my herpes. i am still wondering if i even had herpes at all.

i have not had any ob's, sores or any tingling since i had my first one back in jan of 09. i have been on meds and then i have gone off my meds many times. i did not have any obs. i have been really stressed out and still no obs. i have been off my meds weeks at a time. still no obs. it has been two years and i have not had any obs. so my question did my herpes go into hiding or was not herpes at all. that i got a false postive back in 09?

Post subject: Re: question
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

How were you diagnosed? Blood test or culture (swab of the sores)? False positives are usually not the issue, unless some older blood test that isn't "type specific" is used. Those tests aren't all that common these days, thankfully.

Sometimes HSV is just really mild; about 85% of those with genital virus don't even know, and don't recognize their symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:22 pm 

it was a blood test, the sore was not cultured at all. the docter never did check it out.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

wolfdreams wrote:
it was a blood test, the sore was not cultured at all. the docter never did check it out.

Yeah, that's pretty common these days. Since newer blood tests are so good, they are used more and more. Culture has its place, but if the sores are healing it can give a false negative.

Herpes can bring up lots of questions and confusion, so let us know if you have any other questions at all. There are things that can significantly reduce the risk to a partner etc. and we can chat about that or any other aspect of herpes that's on your mind.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:34 pm 

if you can call and get the actual results of the blood testing you had done to post here, I can better help you with this - hsv1 igg 4.3 and hsv2 igg 2.9 or whatever they are is what I need to see.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:50 pm 

i called the lab and this is what they gave me h2 igg 3.66 . the girl i talked to said that i am a carrier of herpes.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:09 pm 

Your hsv2 igg is still a low positive but you did have an ob 2 years ago so it's likely to be accurate. If you really need the peace of mind, you can ask your provider to order a herpes WB blood test for you or next time you have a recurrence, be seen within 48 hours for a lesion culture.

There really isn't any such thing as a "carrier" of herpes. Studies have shown that you shed the virus about the same amount whether you have 0 ob's a year or 10 ob's a year. You are just as contagious to a partner as someone who gets obvious recurrences on a regular basis.

Do you have a regular partner?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm 

i started seeing someone new.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:47 pm 

have they been tested yet?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:19 pm 

i am not sure, we have not had sex yet and i just told him that i have it, i am waiting to hear from him, i told a friend of mine about it and he is being very supportive.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:01 pm 

keep asking questions as you have them :)

betsy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:13 pm 

i talked to him and he wants to get tested. how long should he wait to get tested?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:04 pm 

herpes igg blood testing is valid 3 months after the last time he had sex with someone other than you. make sure he covers other std testing too.

have you two had sex yet?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 pm 

no we have not had sex yet. but i think he wants too.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:17 pm 

well if you two did nothing but avoid sex anytime you have anything going on genitally, he is 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. If you take daily suppressive therapy and use condoms properly in addition to that, his odds go up to 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. Very good odds even with the most minimal of effort :)

Make sure you have both covered your other std testing bases also as well as discuss if either of you had had gardasil shots too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next