ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oral HSV-2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:36 am 

I have HSV-2 outbreaks that occur under my lower lip. I was diagnosed by my doc swabbing an outbreak and doing a culture back in the mid 80s.

Back around 2000 I was alarmed to find out about asymptomatic shedding, which means I never know when I'm contageous. bleh. I've also heard that the virus can live on inanimate objects.

The reason I'm writing this is I wish to join the Eastern Orthodox Church. The thing is, those people kiss up a storm at church -- icons, gospel books, crosses, hands, each other. They also take the eucharist via a spoon. Now, I'm not worried about getting something from them, but I Sure am worried about them getting something from me!

I've visited a few divine liturgies, and I remember seeing people lifting their Children up so they can kiss icons. While I've not been doing that, the thought of them kissing one after me or them partaking of communion after me, just breaks my heart. Am I worrying too much, or am I being prudent?

Post subject: Re: Oral HSV-2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:50 am 
Site Admin

There isn't documentation of which I'm aware that HSV is transmitted by inanimate objects. You can't rule it out, but it would most likely occur when an outbreak and sores are present, and honestly the one scenario that would seem most at risk would be when partners share sex toys.

No one can tell you, then, that there is no risk from kissing the icons you mention, but any risk here seems minimal, at best. There's probably no real need to worry, and one precaution you might take is simply not to do it while symptoms are present. I stress again,though, that if you've already done this, no need to lose any sleep over it.

Hope this helps.

Fredo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:51 pm 

Thank you for the information!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:01 pm 

I want to add a bit more to what fred said.

was your culture typed as hsv2+?

Oral hsv2 on average only sheds 1% of days. That means you only need 1 hand to count the days it's actively shedding orally. Not a reason not to kiss folks unless you have an active oral lesion present then abstain.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:02 pm 

was your culture typed as hsv2+?
========================>Yes, the doc called and told me the test results showed type 2. I'm under the impression this makes me a rare bird.

I kinda figured risk reduction would be the name of the game, and the chances of my passing it on in this context are slim. It's just that seeing parents lifting their children up to kiss the icons . . . that just makes me very leery of doing that sort of adoration even if the chances are slim.

Anyways, I suppose my next step is to talk to a priest about my concerns. I dunno how this will turn out. I may just end up attending liturgy and not become a communicant. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 am 

the risks involved are so low that it's not worth not going through the entire ceremony properly :)

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:09 pm 

Thank you.

In an earlier post you wrote -- "Oral hsv2 on average only sheds 1% of days." Do you have figures on the percentage of days Oral hsv1 sheds?

Could you point me to information on just what the differences are between types 1 and 2?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:58 pm 

hsv1 orally sheds about 18% of days on average
hsv2 orally sheds about 1% of days on average.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:14 pm 

Pliplup, could you be so kind as to tell me what the oral hsv-2 looks like? I have small cuts that I keep getting on my lips. I'm almost certain that its hsv2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm 

not likely to be hsv2 related at all.

have you been seen yet and had these looked at?

oral hsv2 presents just like regular cold sores do.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:30 pm 

Hi Betsy,

I use to share HSV 2 with a male friend for the past 15 years and he accepted me and didn't look at me any differently. He actually wanted a relationship with me knowing that I have HSP 2. Yet, in the last 2 months, I am discovering he is lying to me about his place of address. Hesitant in giving me his address and he gave me 3 different addresses until he gave me the right one. Also, he changed his number and is not coming out in giving me the number because he says he doesn't know his number. I asked if someone sees his number on a call display they can give it. He doesn't respond. I feel I have lost trust in him and miss sharing with him the H. I am more alone about the H in my head. Thouhgts going on and not expressing it makes H a bigger problem than what it is.

I feel I will never find a friend like him again to share this with. It seems so much harder to even think of the telling someone with no support from my friend. Taking the risk in telling someone will feel much more stressful now especially if someone reacts so badly toward me after I share it. Then I go home alone in this bad and negative experience. How do I believe I can find a friend again or friends again in this betrayal.

Anita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi again Anita,

If I'm reading you correctly, the fact your friend is somewhat distant leaves you feeling frustrated you don't have anyone to go to with the thoughts and worries you have over herpes.

We've discussed finding a therapist which you indicated is not easy for you for a number of reasons. I would urge you to consider this though, and to not let the fact they don't specialize in HSV deter you; unless I'm very much wrong, I'd guess the friendship that's been so valuable and helpful to you through all this is with someone who isn't an HSV expert, either! You also mentioned worries that you'll be judged and of course no one can offer 100% guarantees there, but trust me when I say any qualified counselor has seen and heard far more extreme situations than anything you're likely to bring to them.

I guess the reason we keep going back to the idea of a therapist is they are kinda, by design, going to get around many of the obstacles that exist when talking about intimate issues with friends and family.

Also, do you think it's possible your friend is experiencing a little fatigue over your worries and concerns? Do the two of you ever focus on him and his needs? Just do as objective an appraisal of the relationship as you can and look for things like that, and does every conversation come back to you and your issues?

Hope that helps!
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]