ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: nerve pain
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:32 am 

Is there treatment for the burning & tingling of the areas that are being attacked?

Sometimes its just a mild tingling in an area but last night it full on painful nerve pain. I've tried an ice pack but the damaged/infected area doesnt seem to be able to feel heet/cold, its just painful and highly annoying.

of course this is a HSV2 attack.

Post subject: Re: nerve pain
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:05 am 

ibuprofen is helpful.

aren't you on antivirals?

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:05 pm 

Does the virus cause inflamation along the nerves? why does it do it in one spot, to strange...

No, I don't take the anti-virals. They all made me ill, probably because I have kidney & liver problems already, so I don't need anymore issues with that. The cost/benefit ratio doesn't compute on antivirals.

thank you :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:02 am 

I'm going to ask another question along the same lines as does HSV-2 cause nerve inflamation...

Is the severe back pain I am having also caused by the inflamation associated with the nerve damage ?

I'm considering taking a anti-inflamatory for the pain but I am not going to if it wont help.

Thanks..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:55 pm 

Back pain isn't going to be caused by herpes unless you have an active ob at the time of the pain. the pain should go away once the ob is healed.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:26 am 

Oh YES the back pain is HSV. Shoot when I first got this my back was the first thing that started hurting, at that time I thought I had hurt my back.. and then everything else started. The virus lives in the ganglia of the spine.

This morning I woke up with my top of my foot pain and the typical itching down there. At least so far I dont have sores inside, those really are annoying. Also this time my lips have little white spots on them like I'm getting a cold sore but I'm not.

I guess its getting somewhat better, I was having OB every two weeks, now its every four. The back pain is the worse (makes me cry) the itching is just annoying and the not being able to pee is annoying.

I wish I had peope to talk about it with. I contacted a HSV group here and they seemed only interested in hooking up and not really talking about having the virus. But LOL... i can't even find a doctor that understands it so there you go. You did know the virus lives in the spine right?

I'm in pain and tired... going back to rest.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:08 pm 

Yes , I am quite aware that the virus lives in the sacral nerve ganglia and what all that entails.

As we've discussed before, it's not likely this is all related to your herpes. herpes simplex is not associated with these sorts of ongoing pain issues. the small percentage of folks who do have neuralgia's from hsv, they clear up while on daily suppressive therapy.

At this point you should be following up with a neurologist to try to figure out what is going on.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 pm 

Will a neurologist understand HSV?? I'm not very hopeful since the OB/GYN didnt and the urologist didnt... I would be running over to a neurologist if I thought they would understand anything about HSV ?

The pain isn't on-going (it doesnt hurt today) I just hurts prior to and during an OB. Right now I have a sore on my upper lip and my nose of all things... I'm not sure what to make of that? My only thought was maybe I have Herpes Zolster also but apparently they dont have a blood test for that? or treatment for it either...

Thanks for your feedback... I feel pretty alone trying to figure this out. You know in western medicine when you dont fall on the bell curve nobody is trained to think outside the box.... sigh...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:01 am 

Not a usual location for zoster to show up on.

see your provider to make sure it's not a bacterial infection on your nose area.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:58 pm 

Betsy - Oh My Gosh.. the place on my upper lip scabbed over and cleared up and the place on my nose scabbed up and cleared up... But today the place on my upper lip is back, same spot same look as before (kinda like a blister but not)... I'm freakin out.. This morning I was fine and at noon now I have the place on my lip again...

I don't know who to see about this? .. first off my PCP doesn't know I have HSV (and I ain't going to tell him) and I have to get referalls to go anywhere but my OB/GYN... but what are they going to do about it anyway.. if they can't test for it.. nor treat it.. seems like a waste-o-time and money to go see them ??

if I have HSV zolster can I get the vaccine? does it make it worse or better if you get the vaccine? How do they know if people who get the vaccine don't already have it? Is it more likely to be just plain HSV on my lip?

goodness... confused...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:08 pm 

no the vaccine won't be of any help to you.

see your regular doctor for this since it's probably who you can get in the soonest for. perhaps it's a bacterial infection ( impetigo ) and not herpes even.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]