ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:25 pm 

If a woman (or man for that matter) performs oral sex on another man, can the giver of oral sex contract genital herpes if there is no genital to genital contact? Only oral to genital with no reciprocation. This is assuming the receiver has genital herpes?

Also, is the 12 week window for herpes testing from the date of the possible infection set in stone? This is assuming there are no indications earlier than 12 weeks? I was wondering what the percentage of detection is at say 4 weeks.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:59 pm 

Good Question,

The giver of oral sex can contract herpes if the receiver has herpes. The name genital herpes is to location. So if you have HSV1 (oral form of herpes ) and perform oral sex on someone who doesn't have have herpes it is possible to pass Herpes to the receiver. This is also true for HSV 2 which is more connected to genital herpes. When you hear people say genital or oral herpes we are talking about location

Testing centers reccommend the window period of 12 - 16 weeks because many people develop enough detectable antibodies in that time frame. You can get a test before that but I would retest within the window period.

When you do test, I would suggest the Herpes Select Test. This ia specific typing blood test that can be performed if no active lesions are present.

Hopefully betseyb1967 will respond. She has awesome info and can give you great information ( Major Props Ms. B)

Take Care :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]