ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:07 am 

Hello and thank you for reading my post. I've read over and over about the use of condoms in regards to minimizing exposure to STI's and specifically Herpes. So I went to my Dr and asked for a HSV test (the reason I will get to in a minute) and she said "why bother, either you have it or you dont and if you havent had anytype of outbreak then you can sleep easy and as for the use of condoms, they dont have any effect when it comes to herpes since it can spread through skin to skin contact anywhere in the boxershort area and any vaginal fluid or semen contact to skin"

So, the reason I was there. I started dating this great woman and we really hit a homerun, then we get to the stage of having sex and she was open with me about her HSV 2. She even provided me numbers igg 5.3 and said she had a culture test positive and has had it since she was 19 and is now 45. She said she hasnt had an outbreak in 10 years and has never passed on the virus (which I find hard to believe since she didnt use condoms with them and if nobody is passing it on, how are people getting infected). Anyway, I didnt want to judge her and I really really like her so we had sex with a condom. When we finished having sex, there was no condom! The thing broke and was all rolled up...so not only did we have unprotected sex with the possibility for HSV transmission...there was the possibility of having a baby too! I went to my dr to get tested and thats how the above statement was mentioned and now I'm confused.

My history, I did get tested when she first told me about her hsv and I was negative igg 1 was .10 igg 2 was .17. I've waited about 4 weeks to get tested (is that long enough) and is it true that if she touches herself down there and then touches me she can pass the virus on? Thanks for your time and support.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:24 pm 

Glad you found us to ask all your questions!!

Condoms reduce transmission of hsv2 by about 30% on average. They certainly help, especially if used properly ( the condom goes on when the clothing comes off, not just waiting for actual penetration to put it on ) but they aren't 100% unfortunately.

so why didn't your gf transmit her herpes to others if she isn't using condoms? Well just knowing she is infected reduces the risk of transmission to a partner for starters! Also the risk of transmission to a male is very low overall. If you do nothing but avoid sex anytime she has anything going on genitally, you are 96% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from her. If she also takes daily suppressive therapy along with using condoms, you are 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from her. Very low odds with even the most minimal of precautions.

so what do you do now that you had sex with her and the condom broke? Well honestly, no reason to do anything at this point. It's not likely that you contracted hsv2 from her at all. Do you plan on continuing in this relationship? If you do, I wouldn't bother with any further testing. If the relationship is over and you just want to cover your bases, you need to wait 3 months after the last time you had sex with her for herpes igg blood testing. since pregnancy is also evidently an issue, did she go get plan b at the pharmacy?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:29 pm 

Thank you betsyb1967....youre info is very straight forward and makes sense. I'm on the fence about the relationship and where it can go. I'm not sure if I can deal with the "guilt" after the great sex of wondering "what if". I know that I should be looking at the whole person not the virus....person vs. virus. But I'm being asked to potentially expose myself to somethng that I dont have and if the relationship doesnt work and I am positive, then I have to find someone who will accept me with the virus and the cycle continues.

My gf is on meds and she controls her stress levels as well as works out and eats well. My dr kinda freaked me out with the whole thing of if she touches herself down there and then touches me she can infect me....we did that a few times after she had an orgasam she then used that to touch me. Anyway, I thank you again for the knowledge and she got her period a week after the accident. I didnt realize that there was a 99% percent chance of NOT getting it on suppresive therapy and condom use.

Lastly, why such a long waiting period to be tested? I thought that 4 to 6 weeks was enough time for antibodies to show especially since I have very recent baseline to work off of? What would the normal time period be for any type of infection to show up? (generally speaking...I know everyone is different)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:12 am 

About half of folks have seroconverted within 2-3 weeks of being infected. We recommend waiting to test because then the majority of folks will test positive. It gets expensive and is time consuming to test repeatedly as well as it is a little nerve wracking each time you go for testing and wait for your results. If you would test after 4-6 weeks and are negative then you'd still have to repeat your blood test later on. Just easier to wait and test once and be done with it.

Unfortunately the reality is, medical providers only get about 30 minutes of education on genital herpes during medical school. most of them guess when they talk to patients and unfortunately your provider scared you needlessly :( It's the sex act itself that is the risk of transmission, not just manually stimulating her and getting her fluids on your hand and then touching yourself.

The risk of transmission really is that low since she's aware of her status. Stress and nutrition are fairly meaningless as far as herpes management ( overall it's important in your big picture of health of course ). If she's on daily suppressive therapy and using condoms, you are very unlikely to contract it from her.

keep asking questions as you think of them :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]