ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: confused by test results
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:12 am 

About two years ago, I had a questionable sexual encounter, where I ended up with a few bumps on my genital area but not the extreme pictures I have seen of a herpes outbreak. I was tested about a month and a half later and came back negative for all stds. About a year after I tested positive for HSV1 at 1.91, and retested again and came back 1.91. I should mention I have never had a coldsore or another outbreak like the first one.

I had a routine physical last week and and all tests came back negative, including herpes. can I now ignore the original positive tests?
as far as I know I have not passed on hsv1 and I have had a few sexual partners over the past few years.

since I have had no outbreaks or sores, I am inclined to just listen to this latest test!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:49 am 

Most people who have hsv1, don't get obvious cold sores to know it. Only 20-40% of folks who have hsv1, get obvious cold sores to know that they are infected. http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_le ... herpes.cfm has terrific info on oral herpes for more reading if you haven't read it already.

even the best blood tests we have, still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. we don't think there are as many false positive issues with the hsv1 testing as there is with hsv2 but yours were certainly in the lower positive range so hard to know for sure if you had true positives with your 2 positives.

so what do we do now? Well not too much you can do to be honest. If it really matters to you, seek out a herpes WB blood test ( quest labs #34534 ) to see if that picks up on your hsv1 or not. Otherwise unless you get a return of genital symptoms you can be seen for and have cultured and typed or oral symptoms you can have swabbed, no really good way to know unfortunately.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:12 pm 

So should I feel obligated to tell potential partners in the absense of symptoms and the negative test result, even though it was a low positive at one point? that seems unrealistic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 pm 

odds are your hsv1 is oral. Discussing it with potential partners is part of being sexually responsible.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]