ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:57 pm 

Hi everyone,
First off, wow, what a great resource! I used the HPV forum a couple of years ago when I had cervical dysplasia, and betsy and Fredo are both so great.
Betsy, here is my question, and I hope it doesn't sound too silly. Last weekend (about 4 days ago now) I had a sexual encounter with a fellow I didn't know very well (siigghhh). He gave me oral sex and now I am scared that I could end up with herpes. I asked him the next day (not exactly the preferred time to do this...) and he told me that he has never had a cold sore and that if he had he would have told me because he knows the risks (seems like a pretty responsible guy).
Now, of course there is the chance that he can have the virus and have never had visible sores, but overall what are the chances that I could end up with genital herpes as a result of this encounter? Also, I have mouth herpes/ "cold sores" (never been tested, but I have gotten cold sores a few times a year since I was a teenager). Also, I had just shaved, which I know increases the risk some.
I should also say- I have done this many times before (oral sex with strangers) but I don't think I quite grasped how real the risk of developing herpes could be. I will be re-thinking this in the future, and gosh, there should be more education about this!
Anyway, I am a terribly anxiety-prone person, and I don't know if I am worrying needlessly or not. :) Thanks in advance for your feedback!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 am 

You having hsv1 orally yourself gives you significant protection against contracting hsv1 genitally later on. It's not 100% protection, but it's up there.

always protect yourself and only give and receive protected oral. I always remind folks it's rather naive to trust someone when they say they don't have anything when you don't really know them. gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, ngu, hpv and hsv are all transmitted through oral sex. thankfully overall the risk is low but it's just not worth the worrying and testing.

Is this encounter worth much worry? not really - just follow up on any symptoms should you get them. vaginitis - either yeast related or bv - are the 2 most common risks but certainly well worth further thought about more precautions in the future :)

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 am 

Hi again Betsy,
Thanks for your help. Today I am experiencing some sort of generalized itching- basically the whole genital area- is this something I should be concerned about? I called the doc, but there are no appointments till next week (the Canadian health care system, bless its heart, tends to be a little slow). I have had similar types of symptoms in the past with yeast infections or other skin irritations, but I don't know if this would have anything to do with herpes. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:34 am 

most likely vaginitis. going next week to be seen is fine though will leave you itching until then :(

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:30 pm 

Hi Betsy et al,
Just had another quick question and I was not sure if I should continue it on this thread or start a new one, but I am going to live on the edge and post it here.

So, this morning I noticed I was having an oral herpes outbreak (probably due to the stress of thinking I had contracted genital herpes- ironic, eh?) and without thinking I applied my Abreva cream and then about 5-10 minutes later briefly touched my genitals. In between I rinsed my hands (but likely without soap, knowing me- sigh) and touched some other stuff in my room. Is this likely to have transmitted anything? I have been having oral outbreaks for at least 10 years so I assume some antibodies have built up, and none of the areas I touched had been recently shaved.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 pm 

not a risk for transmission at all.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]