ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: HSV Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:18 am 

Betsyb1967 - Thank you again for providing all of the useful information about HSV and the risk of transmission. I've been doing hours of my own research and have a question for you. Has there been any type of testing or research done to see if there are people out there that are actually immune to HSV? I was reading an article about some research that was done and they have actually found people that are HIV immune.

Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: HSV Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:41 am 

I vaguely recall a study a few years back that someone posted on one of the boards but honestly I don't recall the details. Just really hard to study it since so many folks have hsv1 already. By the time we hit retirement age, 80% of us have at least hsv1 according to the NHANES studies. Really hard too figure out why at that age, 20% were able to avoid it to see if it's just good luck or good genes.

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 am 

Betsy - To follow up on a previous post. I just wanted to ask your opinion on the length of time for testing again. I havent had sex with my now HSV+ ex girlfriend in 7 weeks and just got HSV tested again (prior to relationship I was HSV 1 and 2 negative). I havent had any obvious signs of an outbreak and she is on meds. We used condoms sometimes and only had sex about 10 times. Is my testing still too early? I'm on pins and needles wondering if it's ok to move on with another relationship or do I wait for the 3 months etc... If I have to wait 3 months, I think they will have to put me in the looney bin afterwards if I'm positive!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:40 pm 

odds are you would've seroconverted by now and if you have been doing the anxiety ridden crotch watch, no way you would've missed symptoms. no reason not to move on if you are emotionally ready.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]