ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prudent or ridiculous?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm 

I have a long-standing HSV2 infection for which I have only seen lesions on one side of my bottom. I have been phobic about accidental transmission to my young grandkids, through insufficient handwashing, leaving virus on the toilet seat during an outbreak, etc. The statements I see about toilet seats often seem to be "hedged" a bit with words like "generally impossible" or "extremely unlikely," rather than, "this can't happen."

I had an outbreak just before Christmas (after nearly 2 years without one) and we were about to be staying at the kids/grandkids home. While there, I was taking 2 acyclovir three times a day (more than prescribed), making toilet seat covers with tp, wiping off the toilet seat with Wet Ones wipes and then drying with a paper towel (usually twice), same with bathroom faucet, washing my hands repeatedly....

Of course the kids would have no direct contact with sores. But am I being prudent or ridiculous about possible accidental transmission by toilet seat, faucet, etc.?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:25 pm 

There is absolutely no reason for this level of paranoia dear!!!! You are not walking biohazard! You are not dripping virus all over the place! Just regular hand washing is all it takes. No reason to pad the seat or clean up special either.

if you can't work through this on your own, seek out professional help for it. This isn't worth this much concern or worry for you dear - use your energy for things more worth your time like spoiling those grandkids rotten!!!

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 pm 

Thanks, Besty, I will try to control my OCD-ness over this. I was also taking my bath towel out of the bathroom with me rather than hanging it up after a shower, and tossing it in the washing machine. I have heard that damp towels could potentially be an issue and figured it wasn't reliable to tell a 3-year-old "don't touch Grandma's towel." Also excessive?

Oh, and I did get in lots of spoiling time as well. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:26 pm 

In theory, herpes could be transmitted through sharing towels because they stay warm and damp longer than other surfaces. There is not a single case of transmission through a towel though and just touching your towel, would never be an issue. Everyone in a household should have their own towel, washcloth, toothbrush, razor and body puff - not because of herpes but because very common germs are very easily transmitted through sharing them so in general, it shouldn't be done. Your towel hanging in the bathroom after you using it isn't an issue at all though.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]