ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: TRANSMISSION?????
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:19 am 

Hi,
I am newly diagnosed with HSV2. My boyfriend has HSV1 though he's never had any coldsores in his life. My question is: if we use condoms, if I take daily medication, if we don't have sex when I feel an ob coming on AND he has hsv1 - what are the chances of him contractinig HSV2???
Does his having HSV1 offer any immunity to HSV2?
Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:48 pm 

Both of you should make time to read the herpes info here on asha and also check out the herpes handbook and patient counseling video at www.westoverheights.com/freebook.html . they are all excellent resources.

Your bf's hsv1 infection doesn't offer him any significant protection against contracting hsv2 from you. Statistically it's an oral hsv1 infection even though he can't recall any obvious cold sores. Even though over 60% of adults in the US have hsv1 orally - only about 20-40% of them get obvious cold sores to know it.

If you do nothing but avoid sex during obvious genital symptoms - your chances of transmitting the virus to your bf each year are abou 4%. If you take daily suppressive therapy his risk is cut in half. Along with proper condom use - you can on average make it so he's 99% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from you. It's up to the two of you what precautions or combination of precautions you want to utilize. He's more likely NOT to contract hsv2 from you than he is to get it with just those simple precautions.

Let us know how else we can help :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:48 pm 

Bestsy,
Thanks so much for the information! I really appreciate it. With the proper precautions, it sounds like one can conduct a pretty normal sex life.
KGreen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:49 pm 

Betsy - oops! I misspelled your name in my reply! So sorry :D
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:29 am 

obviously you haven't been noticing my spelling errors here that you were worried about me noticing that you misspelled my name...he he he

And yes you can live a COMPLETELY normal sex life with herpes - just every now and then you have to say "no honey tonight it's my turn to tie you up and whip you - I have an ob " :D

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]