ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do's and Don'ts List?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:06 pm 

Have oral herpes and am looking for a comprehensive list of do's and don'ts regarding contact with another person. For example, assuming I'm NOT having an OB, is kissing on the mouth OK? On the body? Touching another person's genitals or anus with my mouth? Can my partner get HSV1 from me by giving me genital or anal sex? Would love to see a comprehensive list along these lines, including HSV2 when/if I meet a partner with HSV2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:32 am 

The most important first step is - have your partner get tested for herpes to know their own status. Never assume that because they haven't noticed any symptoms ever either orally or genitally that they aren't infected with at least 1 type of herpes.

If you have oral herpes - obviously avoiding contact whenever you have an obvious cold sore or feel the signs of one about to start goes a long way. If your partner is hsv1 negative then you should wait to resume kissing and sexual contact until the skin is completely healed. As adults - we are most likely to contract hsv1 orally thru direct skin on skin contact - which is kissing and oral sex. You really don't need to worry about sharing drinks or food though if you have an obvious cold sore err on the side of caution and don't until its healed.

As for other sexual practices - if your partner is negative for hsv1 then discuss if barrier protection is warranted for oral to genital contact. If your partner feels its the best idea then utilize it. If your partner is ok with the small risk otherwise then that's their choice. Even though it seems like just about everyone has hsv1 genitally nowadays - it still prefers to infect the oral area over the genital area but obviously it does happen on other body parts. We don't have the stats available for me to say - oh if you lick your partners anus they have a .0345% risk of contracting hsv1 there each time you do it or anything like that though if that's what you are looking for. We also don't have info on if the infected partner taking daily suppressive therapy reduces the risk of transmitting hsv1 to the oral area or the genital area either.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:35 am 

Thanks for your quick reply. It's very helpful. Sounds as if there is more work needed to determine what the relative risks are, especially for sex practices that gay men and women engage in.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]