ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:36 pm 

im new to this.... im scared. sigh. i wish my partner would have told me earlier that she had it and now i do ... is there any over the counter herpes med?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:18 pm 

Good question,

I don't know of any over the counter herpes medication. Most people with Herpes are taking Valtrex, Famvir or the good old fashioned acyclovir tablets. These meds help stop the virus from reproducing. Other choose not to take any meidcations at all.To ease the pain, you can use Dermoplast ( blue can ) and sometimes I even use espom salt.

Have you went to your doctor about the Herpes? You may want to seek their advice also on what to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:57 pm 

i wanted to go to planned parenthood and did but they didn't ave an appointment open for me so i have to reschedule for next week cuz i haven't anymore time this week. oh i just wish i could know if its what i have or not. it hurts every so often, mainly when i have an erection, at least the two things that i think are sores around the head of my penis (the part where supposed to clean if your not circumsized? but i am, im just having trouble finding the right terms to describe my condition) i remember when i first felt the pain there not knowing there were blisters or sores on my penis, my gf and i had sex (maybe last friday or saturday) and it was so painful! now that area is really sensitive. does that sound like a herpes cold sore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:02 pm 

A herpes cold sore would be on your mouth - not on your genitals. Just so no one gets confused.

It's actually getting too late for going to the doctor to be seen to do much good at all for you unfortunately :( Lesion cultures are best done within 24-48 hours of the appearance of symptoms. Antivirals work best when taken soon into symptoms. If you can't get in to be seen today or tomorrow then next week isn't going to do you much good :( You can try giving your doctor a call and telling him/her the situation and see if they will call you in some antivirals and then arrange for follow up testing for you - might be worth a shot if you don't have time to get in to be seen.

Your gf knows she has genital herpes? Does she know if she has hsv1 or hsv2?

The herpes handbook offers a lot of suggestions for pain relief and there are also many suggestions in other posts here. www.westoverheights.com/freebook.html is where you can find it. Also talk to your gf and see if she has any remedies she can recommend.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:54 pm 

first things first, thank you for your responses.

im trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel and with your responses, it gives me hope.

but i am kind of scared of it is late to act on it. i still will see a doctor on monday like my appt schedule but unfortunately thats the only time theyre free. im so scared. i had a talk with my partner and i believe her when she says that she hasnt had any previous partners before me. but if this is true, can herpes be contracted without previous partners? could it be that were both under immense stress with school and me with school and finding a new place to live that this could have occurred? i didnt mean to sound like i blamed her in my first post ... i love her so much but this situation is so, i dont really know what to say or how to handle it ....

thank you for your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:34 pm 

HSV-1 can be contracted as a child. For example, if your mom or dad gave you a kiss on the cheek and if they ever had cold sores well you have been exposed to HSV 1. Then you get fever blisters. Well later on, you participate in oral sex and there is the possibility you have spread HSV-1 genitally. I know, I have HSV-1 genitally but over 60 -70 percent of the population has HSV-1 by the time they are adults. This same senario can also happen with HSV 2 . HOwever HSV2 is spread more so by genital to genital contact.

Check out the manual Betsey B sent. Great information inside.

I do beleive you two can get through this and you can ask for the Herpes Specific blood test when you go in, tell the doc about your symptoms and your concerns about herpes. Don't be afraid. I'm sure they have seen worse things :D

Get facts and by you asking those who are living it, we can help. Check out the websites and keep in mind you can still have a wonderful fufilling and healthy sex life. Either way it goes, we are all here to help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:21 am 

My turn to be confused - does your gf have oral herpes or genital herpes?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:08 am 

according to her, i am her first. my history includes her, and two other partners of which i was their first. my first partner, we were only intimate once, when i lost my virginity to her in a kitchen. we were both 15 and used protection. my second partner, i was 19 and same story we both used protection, except for our first time together resulting in the usage of the morning after pill. but from then on, was always with protection. 2 years later, my partner and i used protection until about early march when she started taking birth control pills to regulate her period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:30 pm 

Does your gf have a history of cold sores at all?

When you are seen on monday - ask for a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your status is. If this is herpes then either you had before this partner and didn't know it or it's more likely to be hsv1 genitally. Getting a baseline blood test as soon as possible can help you in the future when you repeat your blood test to try to see if you contracted hsv1 genitally thru oral sex from your present partner since it's will be too late to get an accurate lesion culture and typing when you are seen next week.

If you test + for hsv2 on your baseline blood test - then you know you had this prior to meeting your current partner most likely and just never knew it.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:24 am 

konfuzed n skared wrote:
im new to this.... im scared. sigh. i wish my partner would have told me earlier that she had it and now i do ... is there any over the counter herpes med?

Why don't you tell us how you and your partner were tested. What recommendations did your doctors make?

There are excellent herpes antiviral medications that have actually been clinically proven to treat herpes simplex virus vs. the so-called OTC items that people sometimes find at the store.

Hang in there,

Angela :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:35 am 

sorry for the late response.

i got great news! either of us have it! my doctor ran tests and said that it wasnt a blister but more like a break out. i was really stressed out at the time and just scared and sick. he also said it was a case of "rug burn" so thast why it hurt some. quite the interesting results for all the tress i went too but i want to thank you all for your responses to my questiojns. your help calmed me down and helped me get through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:15 am 

That's Great News!!!! Take care of yourself and anytime you have questions on anything just stop by and ask !!!! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]