ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: what are the odds?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 pm 

My girlfriend has oral herpes and I am not infected with anything. recently while she had a sore we made a horrible mistake and she touched her mouth to the head of my penis for only about 5 seconds. Now Im worried that I caught it and she's worried if we have intercourse that I could give her genital herpes. I havent had an outbreak or anything, I washed my self with soap moments after the debacle occurred, can anyone shed any light on what my chances are of getting it and what her chances are of contracting it back from me on her genitalia?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:19 am 

Have you had a herpes blood test to know your status or are you just assuming a lack of obvious symptoms means no infection?

Yes you can transmit hsv1 to the genital area thru mostly oral sex but the short contact you had isn't likely to transmit it. try not to worry too much about it.

does your gf take antivirals to help speed the healing of cold sores when she has them?

betsy

Post subject: Re: what are the odds?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:27 pm 

notsure1984 wrote:
My girlfriend has oral herpes and I am not infected with anything.

When you say that you don't have anything what do you mean by that? The reason that I ask is because not all STD's are included in the routine STD testing process.

If you want to be 100% sure of your herpes status then you'll need to ask the doc OR clinic to test you specifically for herpes simplex virus. Tell them that you want a type specific antibody test so you can figure out if you have type-1, type-2, both OR nothing at all.

Quote:
recently while she had a sore we made a horrible mistake and she touched her mouth to the head of my penis for only about 5 seconds. Now Im worried that I caught it and she's worried if we have intercourse that I could give her genital herpes.

Does your girlfriend have oral herpes? If she has oral herpes then it is possible for you to contract herpes from her via oral sex. That's if you don't already have it. As far as passing it back to her .. she can't re-contract what she already has.

Quote:
I havent had an outbreak or anything, I washed my self with soap moments after the debacle occurred, can anyone shed any light on what my chances are of getting it and what her chances are of contracting it back from me on her genitalia?

Again ... she's not going to contract what she already has and in order for you to contract herpes from her the circumstances have to be just right. Just because you were exposed to the possibility of contracting herpes from her doesn't mean that you did.

On the flip side ... just because you have never had an outbreak that you can see OR feel doesn't mean that you don't have herpes. The only way to know your status is to test properly for it.

Hang in there,

Angela

:arrow: Here's my herpes testing page :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:38 pm 

thanks to all who responded, I appreciate your candid advice. Im going to get tested soon and talk to the doc about everything, I just wanted to ask a few questions and didnt know who to turn to.

thanks again

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]