ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: alarmed and confused
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:24 pm 

I went to the doctor last week and found out I had contracted genital
HSV-1. I was shocked because I didn't feel any symptoms. I had a rash on my butt but I thought it was an allergic reaction to my pantiliners. I have sensitive skin and every month a small rash develops. Come to find out, menstruation can bring out an episode. Now, I'm wondering if I have been a carrier of herpes for years and not even realized it because my symptoms were so mild.

To complicate things I have a new partner. We used a condom but not for oral sex and I have a really sore throat and swollen glands that have lasted for over a week. We only had sex once and it was two weeks ago. That's the right timing for the virus to incubate isn't it? I told him today that I have HSV-1 and that he should be checked. Will he show symptoms? I heard men are asymptomatic quite often. I don't know how to feel or who to blame? I've never even had a cold sore before. Can kissing cause this? He didn't show any signs of infection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:20 pm 

When I read your blog, I could relate. I also have HSV-1 genitally but please be aware that HSV-1 is extremely common and many of us contract it as children from parents, other children and so on.Many people with HSV 1 never show any signs or symptoms of infection. Others however do in the form of cold sores . Also HSV1 genitally is most likely passed by oral sex if someone is having an active cold sore. It is less likely to be transmiteed genitally but in a few cases this can happen.

HSV1 is less likely to be transmitted to a partner because outbreaks are usually far and few between and viral shedding is less common. HVS1 in the genital area loses it's punch. It is out of it's place of preference. HSV1 prefers the lips, mouth while HSV2 prefers genitals. By the time most of us reach adulthood we will already have HSV1. So in a sense you are normal :D

Are you taking any antiviral meds? This can help ease the pain of an outbreak and can help you in the healing process. There are two forms of therapy , episodic and suppressive so if you realize you are having lots of outbreaks, your doctor can try suppressive therapy.

The swollen glands could be a number of thing. I you gave oral sex without protection, then you may want to get screened for other STI infections. If you used protection then it could be your body fighting the current outbreak. I'm not a doctor but I can only give estimates :D .

If he's ever had a cold sore in the past, then he already has HVS1 antibodies so he may not have any issues but still if he is worried, I always say get checked out.

Like other viruses, HSV can lay dormant and show up later ( as in my case) or go into active mode within 2 weeks or less. Everyone is different.Kissing can also play a part in transmission of HSV. So the commonality of it is all around. 60 - 70% of the population has HSV1 by the time they are adults.

One of the best member on the board is betseyb and hopefully she can give you some awesome tools and advice.

Take care buttercup and if there are any questions or if your new beau has any questions, post them. We are here to help. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:22 pm 

resilient - how were you diagnosed as having hsv1 genitally? lesion culture and typing or blood test?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:23 pm 

resilient - how were you diagnosed as having hsv1 genitally? lesion culture and typing or blood test?

betsy

Post subject: Re: alarmed and confused
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:22 am 

resilient wrote:
I went to the doctor last week and found out I had contracted genital
HSV-1.

How were you tested? Did the doctor do a culture and then have that typed? Did you have a type specific herpes antibody test? (herpes blood test)

Quote:
I was shocked because I didn't feel any symptoms.

90% of those that have genital herpes don't know that they have it because they probably don't get any symptoms that they can see or feel.

Quote:
I had a rash on my butt but I thought it was an allergic reaction to my pantiliners. I have sensitive skin and every month a small rash develops.

Have you talked with your doctor about this?

Quote:
Come to find out, menstruation can bring out an episode.

Actually, there is no evidence that your period is causing you to have outbreaks. Now I can see the stress that your body is under around the time of your period might be a factor but not the period itself.

Quote:
Now, I'm wondering if I have been a carrier of herpes for years and not even realized it because my symptoms were so mild.

It's certainly possible ...

Quote:
To complicate things I have a new partner. We used a condom but not for oral sex and I have a really sore throat and swollen glands that have lasted for over a week. We only had sex once and it was two weeks ago. That's the right timing for the virus to incubate isn't it? I told him today that I have HSV-1 and that he should be checked. Will he show symptoms? I heard men are asymptomatic quite often. I don't know how to feel or who to blame? I've never even had a cold sore before. Can kissing cause this? He didn't show any signs of infection.

Ok, in order to know your status (both you and your partnter) the two of you need to make a date to go and get tested for herpes and other STD's ... be sure and check my :arrow: herpes home page at the bottom for a listing of things that your doctor should be checking you guys out for that aren't always included in the routine std testing process.

Good Luck and keep us posted,

Angela :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:25 pm 

I wasn't able to post a private message so to answer your question. Yes, it was a lesion culture taken. After my doctor told me that she felt it could be herpes I told her to check for all STD's. I'm clear of everything else thankfully but I really can't believe I have Herpes. My symptoms were practically unnoticeable. Had I not went in to get checked for my Pap smear it would have been overlooked.

So is it possible to spread genital HSV through kissing? Or does sex have to happen oral or vaginal. For example if I give him a hand job and go to the bathroom. Could it spread from my hands? I'm so paranoid right now of any contact with anybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:30 am 

Since you didn't also have a blood test done at the same time - it won't be easy to figure out if this is a new hsv1 genital infection or if you've had it all along and didn't realize it ( based on your history of past symptoms ). Typically hsv1 genitally doesn't reoccur very often but there is a small percentage of folks with it who do get frequent recurrences. If need be - we can help you get set up with home pcr swabbing materials to try to help you figure it all out. It can be hard when you have sensitive skin and end up with things going on down yonder normally.

Definitely talk to your current fellow and ask him if he can recall ever getting cold sores. if he can't then he should go get himself a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what his status is to see if you even have to worry about transmitting hsv1 to him.

About 25% of folks who have hsv1 genitally also have it orally. However it's not easy to figure out if you contracted it orally too without obvious cold sores.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:32 am 

Since you didn't also have a blood test done at the same time - it won't be easy to figure out if this is a new hsv1 genital infection or if you've had it all along and didn't realize it ( based on your history of past symptoms ). Typically hsv1 genitally doesn't reoccur very often but there is a small percentage of folks with it who do get frequent recurrences. If need be - we can help you get set up with home pcr swabbing materials to try to help you figure it all out. It can be hard when you have sensitive skin and end up with things going on down yonder normally.

Definitely talk to your current fellow and ask him if he can recall ever getting cold sores. if he can't then he should go get himself a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what his status is to see if you even have to worry about transmitting hsv1 to him.

About 25% of folks who have hsv1 genitally also have it orally. However it's not easy to figure out if you contracted it orally too without obvious cold sores.

betsy

Post subject: coming to terms
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:30 pm 

For betsy1967, thanks for your help. It's been one week since I found out my results and every day I learn more about the herpes virus. I'm less concerned about why/how/who I got it from. Especially when I read that up to 90% of the U.S. population will have HSV-1 by the time they are 50 yrs. old. My partner says he's going to get checked out regardless. He was very supportive when I told him that I had HSV-1 and appreciated my honesty. He's scared and confused like me but we're dealing with it. Yes, he has had cold sores in the past,and shingles, but I didn't see a cold sore around his mouth. He said he hadn't had one for years. I heard they can grow INSIDE your mouth too though. I didn't think to check. Plus that would be weird.

I finished the Valtrex and my glands still hurt. Plus I came down with a cold so I can't tell if my throat hurts from the cold or herpes virus. Great! When am I going to be safe to kiss again? How long does it take for the virus to retreat back into your nervous system? I've had chocolate, laid out in the sun by the pool, stressed myself out, had my period, and caught the common cold. If I get a reoccurance it won't be a shocker! Thanks again. By the way, what are pcr swabbing materials?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:42 am 

If he has a history of cold sores then you can kiss as soon as your cold is gone ( unless he also has it ). he can't get what he already has.

Cold sores aren't typically inside the mouth - except for a brand spankin new oral herpes infection can cause symptoms inside the mouth. Recurrences aren't inside the mouth. Also you don't have to have an obvious cold sore present to transmit the virus. Canker sores are more typically inside the mouth and they aren't contagious.

Check out the herpes handbook at westoverheights.com. in the diagnosis section there is a whole section on pcr testing for herpes. Basically it's incredibly simple to do - literally wetting a sterile medical q tip and rubbing it all over your symptoms/anogenital area and then putting it in transport medium and dropping it off at the lab. It's so sensitive that it picks up on small amounts of virus on the skin and can show if the virus is active on the skin even when you aren't having symptoms. If you use it when you are having symptoms - you can help to narrow down if they are due to herpes or something else to help get to the bottom of what's herpes and what's not.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:16 am 

resilient wrote:
I wasn't able to post a private message so to answer your question.

That's ok. The PM option doesn't work on this forum. I'm kind of glad that it doesn't work because that way people reading the posts can learn something . Had you sent a PM them nobody would be able to benefit from this discussion, ya know?

Quote:
Yes, it was a lesion culture taken.

Did the doctor tell the lab to have the culture typed?

Quote:
After my doctor told me that she felt it could be herpes I told her to check for all STD's.

Did you ask her which STDs that they could test you for because not all STDs are included in the routine STD testing process.

Quote:
I'm clear of everything else thankfully but I really can't believe I have Herpes. My symptoms were practically unnoticeable.

Most people that have herpes don't have symptoms that they can actually see OR feel and if they do it's usually mistaken for things like yeast infection OR jock itch. The symptoms that you might see or read on the internet are usually the medical text book worst case scenario .. so don't put too much effort into reading all of that, ok?

Quote:
Had I not went in to get checked for my Pap smear it would have been overlooked.

Ok, now a Pap Test is not the best way to test for STDs. Pap Tests only specialize in looking for abnormal cells or changes in the cells. Every once in awhile a Pap Test might pick something up but it's not a way to test for STDs accurately. Now the Thin Prep Pap test on the other hand can help with HPV but that's about it - really. I'm sure Fredo can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
So is it possible to spread genital HSV through kissing? Or does sex have to happen oral or vaginal. For example if I give him a hand job and go to the bathroom. Could it spread from my hands? I'm so paranoid right now of any contact with anybody.

See if this page helps at all: :arrow: Herpes Type-1 and Type-2

BTW, is your partner going to be tested at all?

Hang in there,

Angela :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:02 pm 

Everyone should log on to westoverheights.com I was so impressed with the research and they are registered doctors as well. Their handbook is so helpful. You can preview chapters online without purchasing anything and learn about types, symptoms, medications, reoccurances, etc. Very good resource! Thanks for the tip Betsy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:05 pm 

Can you tell me more about the "new" oral herpes that cause symptoms in the mouth/throat? I couldn't find any research on it. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:51 pm 

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 001383.htm I think this will help explain it better than I can :)

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]