ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:52 pm 

I was just diagnosed this week with HSV2. Culture was positive for HSV2 and I am still waiting on final blood work.
First outbreak was in April 08 - which was very painful and accompanied by flu-like symptoms. I have had 2 much less severe - but painful episodes since that time.

To say that I am in shock is an understatement.
I have been in a monogamous relationship for 2 years with someone I totally trusted. He tells me he has had no symptoms at all.
Prior to this relationship I was in an 8-year on-again/off-again relationship with someone who couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to "commit" or not...ultimately he did....to someone else. Besides these 2 parters, my only other sexual partner was within a 20 year faithful marriage.

My question is this: is it possible that I could have contracted this from "Mr Non-commitment" and it has been dormant until now - or more likely that it was recently contracted? Other than the recent breakouts, I've never had any symptoms.

I don't want this to become a he said-she said argument with my boyfriend. We are both in our 50's and if this virus can stay dormant for years, then is it possible one or the other of us brought it to the relationship?

I'm having a hard time dealing with the herpes issue - and harder still with the issue of trust. I don't know who or how much to trust at this point....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hello and thanks for you post.

It's usually pretty difficult to figure out the "when" and "from whom" angles with herpes. Either you or your current partner could have had HSV-2 prior to the relationship without being aware. Even if you did contract it from your current partner (and again, that isn't clear), it could be an infection he's had unknowingly for years.

Outbreaks tend to slow down in both frequency and intensity over time, so the fact your recurrences have been relatively mild isn't surprising.

This is all very difficult and frustrating, to be sure, and you don't know where to turn or who to believe! I hope the discussion above helps at least a bit. Post anytime you have questions or just need some support.

All the best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]