ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Story to Share :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:10 pm 

Okay, so this group might be out of my age bracket, but that's okay! I have a feeling you all will really enjoy this little diddy.

So I went to my doctor a cpl weeks ago over the fear of a possible infection. My thought was "oh no! this sure seems like Chlamydia again" needless to say I destroyed any fingernails I had left up until the results came in. Turned out it was only a yeast infection causing the problems but Anyways, because of dealings with a past doctor and how I was treated, I was so nervous about seeing this doctor (my normal one was on vacation). A friend worked at the clinic and had filled her in about how upset I was about it possibly being Chlamydia again, and the doctor assured her she would not put me through that judgemental realm again.

Anyways, when I went in for the tests and cultures etc, she could tell how nervous I was (I was litterally on the brink of tears from the point i walked in). She told me to sit up and breathe for a few minutes and then she plopped down in a chair and asked if I minded her telling me a story. SURE! PROLONG THE AGONY! lol

Anyways, she proceeded to tell me that a cpl years ago, she had this 74 year old patient who had been a widow for the better half of 12 years. The woman came to her, positively sure she had a urinary tract infection. Her stomach hurt, her back ached, it hurt to urinate and all of this happened after a recent and severe bout of sinusitis etc....from the story I guess this woman was just in a lot of pain and attributed it to age and poor eating/drinking habits. Anyways, they did every test imaginable and the results kept coming back fine. So the doctor discussed the case with a colleague and they mentioned doing a culture for chlamydia. My doctor said "Surely not! 74 yrs old??!" Well anyways, after convincing the woman that it was kind of a last chance guess to her mysterious diagnosis problem, she did the culture and sure enough it came back as chlamydia! She told me about how upset this poor woman was, angry more like, and then related to my situation by stating that it really is a normal problem that 75% of all adults experience at some point. Of course I was still feeling worried and she finally got to the end of her story. The 74 yr old widow stood majestically as if to collect her composure and stated: "That's okay I guess, but don't you think for one minute I'm not tempted to go dig him up just so I can have the pleasure of burying him again!" and then walked out of the office LOL

There are a couple of points I'd like to make about this story. 1) this just goes to show how long you could have this infection and it not show up until your immune system has become weakened. 2) It truly is a testament of how human we all really are and that it can happen to anyone and 3) Even doctors can be fooled by their own, if innocent, stereotypes (older=wiser/safer so to speak) and 4) age simply has nothing to do with it lol. This is a story I will keep in my memory for a long time to come.

As a side note, I'd just like to say that if you don't feel your doctor is right for you, don't hesitate to scout for one who is. This was a valuable lesson in communication between me and the professional...sometimes you have to do the leg work to get the right match :)

Hope you enjoyed this story, I thought it was really cute :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Would you mind if we used this in some of our publications, or maybe in a fund-raising letter? I think it would resonate with folks!

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 am 

No I don't mind at all hun :) Many ppl become so depressed when they get "the news" and I am of a mind to find the lighter side of all situations. I think it is important for people to be able to realize that they are not the only ones, and with today's stereotypical outlook on teens and young adults in matters such as these, it makes a very valid point that we are ALL responsible and at risk of the same dangers regardless of who we are or how old :) Feel free to spread the laughter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Helper XP!

Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]