ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

ASHA Seeks Feedback From the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Communities

ASHA is putting together a project that profiles LGBT relationships. We’d like to know what you think are the important components in developing a long-term (greater than two years) LGBT relationships?

For example, studies show gay male relationships don't last as long because partners often don't accomplish a “repairing aspect when arguing. What are your thoughts on that statement, or other aspects of LGBT relationships? Please reply here on the message boards or by sending an email to info@ashastd.org.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by Fredo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:23 am 

Hi Fredo,
I am in the beginning of my first relationship with a woman in 30 years. Thank God I was able to tell her I have herpes 2, acquired from my then-husband 20 years ago. I haven't been with anyone for 11 years, partly due to my dx, partly due to fear of comng out. I am feeling all this grief now as if I am newly dx'd. I feel pretty hopeful about the new relationship - she has a lot of character, and we are taking things slow - no sex yet. I have sent away for the book and the newsletter. I am very happy this service is here and would be interested in letting you know how things go. I started suppressive therapy a few days ago and ironically woke up yesterday with classic flu-like symptoms as well as nerve pain from my butt on down. What a Drag! But I will persevere - thanks for everything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi loriann,

Thanks so much for your response! It's good to hear from you and I hope you will continue to post or email.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:06 pm 

Hi Fredo,

Just checking that I have my facts correct. My new friend and I are both getting blood tests to verify and in her case determine HSV status. If, as I believe is true, that I have HSV2 (only) and she has no STIs, this is what I understand about sex and protection against transmission:

She can safely receive oral sex from me (the HSV2 partner) as long as I don't have HSV1

If I were to receive oral sex from her I would be at risk of transmitting HSV2 to her through her oral mucosa.

I read in the NY times that the possible body area for transmssion is the area covered by a pair of boxer shorts. So even if I am on 500mg daily suppressive therapy Valtrex, there is a posibility that I could transmit to her skin to skin through microscopic lesions. This is the extremely upsetting part to me. But does that mean she cannot touch me without a latex glove in those non-genital, boxer-short areas? thanks -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:48 pm 

why not start a question on herpes in the herpes forum?

thanks!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]