ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: hpv
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:21 am 

another thing is that do you think this virus will be a lifetime...yhank you..gOD bLESS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:00 pm 

Hi everyone! I was wondering if you could advise me - in November 2007 I was diagnosed with hpv-related lsil by colposcopy and biopsy and it was treated with cryotherapy. My two paps in February and September of 2008 have been normal, but a new doctor I went to did an HPV test and that was still positive. When she performed another colposcopy just to double-check, she saw that dysplasia was there in the exact same area and took a biopsy "anyway to be sure," and that my body will and is fighting it off and it isn't bad. I am still petrified though as I await results of this biopsy. Does this mean the cryo failed? Is it really true that my body is fighting it off since the paps are normal after a year? How much longer can I expect this to last? Please help.

Post subject: HPV questions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:38 pm 

hula wrote:
I have read so many posts and people questioning whether it is safe to assume that , the more time that goes by, the less chance of, maybe, having a recurrence, or maybe, infecting a partner. Well I have to tell my story. I’ll try to keep it short.
Was infected when I was 17yrs old, I am now 35, with 2 children (5 & 3 yrs). When I first found out I was infected, the doctor treated them and within a month there was no sign of any warts. I kept going to him for follow-ups, every 3 months, then every 6 months, and so on, until one day (about 3 yrs later) he told me to stop worrying about it, he said that (they’ve) found that for people who do not have an occurance in this amount of time (3 yrs) , it is highly unlikely that it will come back. So I asked him should I ever tell anyone about it and he said “no, it’s not significant enough for you to be so stressed about.” He also, said something about my immunity being built up to it and not to worry.
Just to make it clear, he was a very good doctor, not flaky but very confident in his approach and clear in his instruction and advice.
I should also mention that over the past 17 years, I have not been the permiscuous type, but I have had several long term relationships (5yr, and a couple of 3yr). But I also have passed over many opportunities because of HPV. It really sucks how this can “run your life”.
Anyway, 17 years later and I’ve been married now for 31/2 years. Everything going great and nearly forgot that I ever had HPV until I noticed a spot on my husband (on our honeymoon no less). My husband has not had very many partners at all. Two maybe 3 and he had a long “dry” spell just before me. So, I am convinced that my HPV has become active 17 years later. However, there are no visible warts present on me, only my husband. I am going for a coloscopy soon and maybe that will tell me more. I have always had regular pap smears and sometimes I have 2 per year. All of them normal. I am also convinced that, if my HPV has returned, it is because of my last pregnancy. I had a very healthy, normal pregnancy but gained a lot of weight. The baby pressed hard on my pelvis for the last 2 months of the pregnancy. Also, after giving birth, I had so many physical ailments, really, too many complaints to list here. The point is, I felt so physically drained from it all that I think my immunity dropped and the HPV “reared it’s ugly head again”. I am no doctor but I do know my own body.
Regardless of how, when or why, I’ve gone back to feeling the same way I felt 17 years ago. (You know those feelings...shame, guilt...etc, etc) My marriage is suffering because of it. I find myself “looking for a way out so that I do not have to deal with the pressure of “having to have sex”. We hardly have sex anymore anyway. Also, I am worried because we did have sex orally before this happened and I’m worried about the implications of that. I’m afraid to ask my Doctor to look at my throat because I’m afraid of what he will find. A lot of times I think I would like to separate from my husband so that I would not have to even think about it anymore. I would just deal with it on my own.
Note: I have remained friends with everyone (the 3 relationships I mentioned) who I’ve been with over the years and I know that they have never got ‘it’. I never did tell any of them and I don’t regret not having told them. I also don’t regret not telling my husband before we got married. That doctor was right and it’s not significant enough to tell every person you might have a relationship with.
I have a lot more I can say and tell
Ciao for now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:50 pm 

pamme" I was wondering if someone could tell me what to do because my husband has throat cancer and does not smoke and they think it is HPV related, he has been faithful and me too, he was married before and I am not sure if I have the virus and I have plans to get checked by doctor but is there anyone out there that has had to deal with this as I need to speak to someone that understands all this and can give me some ways that I can talk to my doctor and what kind of tests I should get and what I should be looking for, my throat has been sore and I keep thinking I may have HPV in my throat and I don't know what to do to boost my immune system to fight this. I don't want to get cancer like my husband does and I want to figure out what I can do to protect myself from getting the virus or it may be too late but how can I keep from it turning to cancer.?? Anyone who has been in this situation or has advice?? God Bless/In Christ Pam quote="hula wrote:
I have read so many posts and people questioning whether it is safe to assume that , the more time that goes by, the less chance of, maybe, having a recurrence, or maybe, infecting a partner. Well I have to tell my story. I’ll try to keep it short.
Was infected when I was 17yrs old, I am now 35, with 2 children (5 & 3 yrs). When I first found out I was infected, the doctor treated them and within a month there was no sign of any warts. I kept going to him for follow-ups, every 3 months, then every 6 months, and so on, until one day (about 3 yrs later) he told me to stop worrying about it, he said that (they’ve) found that for people who do not have an occurance in this amount of time (3 yrs) , it is highly unlikely that it will come back. So I asked him should I ever tell anyone about it and he said “no, it’s not significant enough for you to be so stressed about.” He also, said something about my immunity being built up to it and not to worry.
Just to make it clear, he was a very good doctor, not flaky but very confident in his approach and clear in his instruction and advice.
I should also mention that over the past 17 years, I have not been the permiscuous type, but I have had several long term relationships (5yr, and a couple of 3yr). But I also have passed over many opportunities because of HPV. It really sucks how this can “run your life”.
Anyway, 17 years later and I’ve been married now for 31/2 years. Everything going great and nearly forgot that I ever had HPV until I noticed a spot on my husband (on our honeymoon no less). My husband has not had very many partners at all. Two maybe 3 and he had a long “dry” spell just before me. So, I am convinced that my HPV has become active 17 years later. However, there are no visible warts present on me, only my husband. I am going for a coloscopy soon and maybe that will tell me more. I have always had regular pap smears and sometimes I have 2 per year. All of them normal. I am also convinced that, if my HPV has returned, it is because of my last pregnancy. I had a very healthy, normal pregnancy but gained a lot of weight. The baby pressed hard on my pelvis for the last 2 months of the pregnancy. Also, after giving birth, I had so many physical ailments, really, too many complaints to list here. The point is, I felt so physically drained from it all that I think my immunity dropped and the HPV “reared it’s ugly head again”. I am no doctor but I do know my own body.
Regardless of how, when or why, I’ve gone back to feeling the same way I felt 17 years ago. (You know those feelings...shame, guilt...etc, etc) My marriage is suffering because of it. I find myself “looking for a way out so that I do not have to deal with the pressure of “having to have sex”. We hardly have sex anymore anyway. Also, I am worried because we did have sex orally before this happened and I’m worried about the implications of that. I’m afraid to ask my Doctor to look at my throat because I’m afraid of what he will find. A lot of times I think I would like to separate from my husband so that I would not have to even think about it anymore. I would just deal with it on my own.
Note: I have remained friends with everyone (the 3 relationships I mentioned) who I’ve been with over the years and I know that they have never got ‘it’. I never did tell any of them and I don’t regret not having told them. I also don’t regret not telling my husband before we got married. That doctor was right and it’s not significant enough to tell every person you might have a relationship with.
I have a lot more I can say and tell
Ciao for now
[/quote]
Quote:

Post subject: Virgin w/ HPV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:58 am 

I was a virgin and still is but i had genital warts treated in the past. I still took the Gardasil shots. I'm very sure I'm not sexually active. May sound weird but I never been with a guy when I was diagnosed with genital warts, no oral, no intercourse, it was only I who touches myself. Never did anything sexual with anybody. I feel so sad since there arent much cases to prove my sistuation. God knows if I was misdiagnosed. I gave in with all the cautery and excissions. etc. It took about half year to clear them all. I also used aldara in addition with the treatments. It was horrible, I kept going back to the gyne. After that, I had check ups for monthly then quarterly. So far, No signs of genital warts. It has been 5 years. It still breaks my heart.
Please make me understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi wyst3ria,

Thanks for posting and sharing your story. There are cases of genital warts for which no good explanation exists, and it sounds like yours might be one of those! Nonsexual transmission is thought to occur, although it isn't too clear just how this works.

I'm sorry it was so hard on you, and continues to be difficult. Most cases of HPV and genital warts don't last forever, because the immune system is usually able to clear it away. No one can predict anything, but it would probably be uncommon for more warts to develop if you've gone five years without any (unless you by some chance get exposed to a new type of HPV).

Take care and please post anytime.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:02 pm 

Two years ago I dated a woman. We always used a condom during intercourse, but there was unprotected oral and manual touching. Several months after we broke up, she was scared she had found a wart. Doctors weren't sure what it was, and removed it. They never confirmed for her whether it was a wart (they said they would get back to her if it was HPV-related). I immediately got a check-up, and was clear. Of course, there's no standard HPV test for men, so it was just a visual inspection.

Over the last two years, I have had no evidence of infection.

One year ago, the former partner contacted me to let me know that a pap had found abnormal cells on her cervix and that a follow up HPV test detected several strains of HPV, both high and low risk. She has had ongoing health issues, so it makes a certain sense that she is having a difficult time clearing the infection (whatever that actually means).

Anyway, again, that brings me to where I am. It's been 2 years since I had protected sex with a partner who 1 year later was diagnosed with HPV. I have never shown any symptoms, nor did my next girlfriend (with whom I had unprotected sex). I am getting back into dating, and I'm wondering, what could I possibly tell prospective partners about this history? "I MAY have been EXPOSED to HPV though I was using condoms which are only 70% effective against transmission, but there's no way to tell as I have been asymptomatic, and statistically, there's a 91% chance that I would have 'cleared' the infection by now if I had contracted it, although doctors don't agree what 'clearing' an infection really means."

I'm confused, obviously. I've heard a lot of "you don't really need to share that," but I've also heard "honesty is the best policy."

What's everybody think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Hi reelEmcee,

I think whether or not you discuss the potential for HPV with future partners depends more on what your gut/guilt level tell you to do rather than a concern for their health. I say this because virtually all sexually active individuals have one or more HPV infections over their lifetimes, the virus is usually harmless, and the way to protect against cervical cancer is to have regular Paps, which female partners should be doing regardless of your HPV status.

It seems an unfair burden to share with each potential partner the news you "may" have been exposed to HPV and "might" have contracted a virus that -even if you ever did have it - would probably clear at some point. You go with what makes YOU feel comfortable, though!

Check in with us anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: Re: Sharing HPV history
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 am 

I been reading all this messages and experience, I dont think i can take the courage to tell anybody, but I will be closing the door to my bed too...I dont think I would feel good when some one reject for been...'sick' I dont think I can't take that either...
Is complicated and hard to explain

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3