ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: OB question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:11 pm 

I want to start off by saying that this sight is awesome and Besty...you are too! I find that if I have question, I first look through previous posts and usually find the answers.

(sorry in advance...this turned out longer then I expected :) and for the repeat questions.)

I am female and I was diagnosed with HSV 12/6/08 during what is assumed to be my initial and severe OB. The diagnoses was from a culture. I don't know specifically if it's HSV 1 or 2. I started supressive therapy not long after. As with a previous post, I've been paranoid with every tingle and itch, but never turned into anything.

My first question is, how common is it to have OB's when on supressive therapy? I read in a previous post that it isn't uncommon to have an OB within a couple of months after the initial OB.

My second question is, is it possible for an OB to show flu like symptoms? Body aches, upset stomach? I believe I felt that way with my first OB, but went a week before realizing what it was and went to the ER. I'm starting to notice some irritation, but not yet burning or anything else. Is it safe to assume and go ahead and up my treatment? I'm currently taking Acyclovir 400mg 2x. I know there could be other reasons, but figure I could start with this and see if it helps and if not, go see the doctor in case it's something else. Although my intuition is thinking it's an OB.

My third question...I'm seeing someone who knows I have HSV (and is apparently ok with my status and to continue having sex) and hasn't gotten tested yet himself. He hasn't been with anyone sexually for about 2 years and isn't aware if he has HSV. I'm not so much concerned about him being the one that may have given it to me and not knowing it, but for him to know for himself if he has it. Should I continue to pester him about getting tested? He is in his 40's and a grown man and should be able to make his own decisions...lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:20 pm 

Yes you should continue to pester him to get tested! He's a grown man so therefore he should be sexually responsible. You both need to know who has what so why don't you both go together and get the blood tests? why continue to worry about transmission if you potentially don't have to?

Just irritation can be many things going on. lt's been a week now so following up on this with your provider is a good idea to get an exam and get your vaginal secretions tested for yeast and bacterial infections. You can also up your medication to 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days to help speed healing if it is an ob or ward one off if it's a vaginitis that might trigger an ob.

You'll still have ob's while on suppressive therapy - just significantly less. The valtrex prescribing info has a whole section on after 6 months of suppressive therapy how many folks had a recurrence and how many after 1 year had a recurrence for further reference ( yep - I'm giving you homework!!!! ).

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:47 pm 

Hi Betsy,

I did my homework! I do see that the risk of OB over a 6 mos and 12 mos period of time will lessen. I will look foward to that in time since it's only been a month from my intial OB. I also did increase my dosage to help with the length of time with the current OB. It's been a week and has gotten better, but am still left with the last of the healing itching, which is quite annoying. I haven't gone to see the doctor for a couple of reasons. I felt that I wanted to wait and see if the dosage increase would do the trick. I really don't feel there's any yeast or bacterial infection going on. After the 2 days of Acyclovir 800 mg 3x a day, I dropped it back to just suppressive 400 mg 2x a day. Should I just leave it at that or bump it back up again for a couple of days?

I have a question about the connection between a head cold and HSV. (Please bare with me as I'm starting to get that foggy haze and hope that my question will come through clearly.) I started to feel a head cold coming on and wonder if my OB would cause my ammune system to be low and make me more suseptable to getting a cold. Is there a connection?

Also, I did talk to my guy and asked him again about being tested. He said when I mention my OB he checks himself and since he hasn't seen symptoms guess it's out of sight out of mind for him. I told him it would be a good idea just so he knows and can go from there. Our relationship is still kind of new and I DO NOT want to come off as a nag (or feel that I bring it up all the time), so I figure putting the bug in his ear is the best thing without pestering him. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:52 pm 

Another question...what was that stuff you have suggested to people in the past that you can spray on topically to help with the discomfort? I'm very nervous about causing more pain and burning as that area has always been pretty sensative for me (vagasil is a firestarter for me when used for yeast infection and even used baking soda and water once and that was horrible. :( ), but might be willing to try it if it is harmless enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:36 pm 

Dermoplast spray ( the blue can, not the red can for the genital area ). It's a topical anesthetic. You can also try throwing in some epsom salts in your bath water too.

You upped your suppressive therapy dose for 2 days, just stay on the 400mg 2x/day dose at this point. Even though you don't think you have anything else going on, if you are still not feeling right by the end of the weekend, call your provider monday and make an appointment to be examined.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:04 pm 

I'm getting frustrated! Ok, so I been on Acyclovir supressive therapy since December when I had my 1st OB. I had my 2nd outbreak a month later (only 2 weeks ago). I up'd my dosage as you recommended for 2 days and it's been over only for about 4 days. It cleared up with no other symptoms that would lead me to believe I had a yeast infection or BV. But a couple of days ago I started feeling the tingling again and at first though maybe I was just being paranoid, but I am feeling that familiar feeling that I'm having another OB. I up'd my dosage this morning again. Is this common to have OB's this close together? In relation to that I have also been fighting off at head cold at the same time. Could they be related only because my immune system is low and trying to fight off both at the same time?

Thanks in advance for all of your help Betsy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:34 pm 

I'm getting frustrated! Ok, so I been on Acyclovir supressive therapy since December when I had my 1st OB. I had my 2nd outbreak a month later (only 2 weeks ago). I up'd my dosage as you recommended for 2 days and it's been over only for about 4 days. It cleared up with no other symptoms that would lead me to believe I had a yeast infection or BV. But a couple of days ago I started feeling the tingling again and at first though maybe I was just being paranoid, but I am feeling that familiar feeling that I'm having another OB. I up'd my dosage this morning again. Is this common to have OB's this close together? In relation to that I have also been fighting off at head cold at the same time. Could they be related only because my immune system is low and trying to fight off both at the same time?

Thanks in advance for all of your help Betsy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:46 am 

Even though you don't think you are having anything else going on down yonder, don't hesitate to see your provider for an exam and testing. 1/2 of women who have bv, don't have symptoms but bv makes the herpes virus more active so it's well worth the testing sometimes. It might even be something completely unrelated going on too - sometimes a newly acquired herpes infection irritates the nerves enough that a pre-existing issue that you didn't realize you had/didn't pay much attention to, becomes more obvious too .

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:57 am 

Wonderful. So many great things to worry about with all of this. I appreciate your input. I'll see about going to see the doctor soon to just make sure that's all that's going on down there.

Also...another question. This is a repeat for you by just about everyone. I wanted to find out exactly what the importance is of getting the IGG test done. I was originally diagnosed when I had my initial OB the beginning of December and of course it was positive via culture. At this point, what would be the importance or purpose of finding out if it's HSV1 or 2? I guess part of it is the cost and know that it would be treated the same way no matter what anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:16 am 

Type really does matter. You can't make decisions about how to treat your herpes or decisions about what precautions to take with a partner until you which type you and your partner have. If you only have hsv1 genitally, typically suppressive therapy isn't needed so why spend money on it and try to remember to take it. Also if you have hsv1, you can still contract hsv2.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:54 am 

Hi Betsy,

I'm going in this afternoon to see a doctor (not my regular doctor unfortunately :( ) to have them make sure it's just an OB or if there's something else going on. While I'm there I want to request an IGG test. Is that something I should ask them about before I get there to see if they offer that test or is it something that most doctor's offices should have? AND I'm wondering if I should find out from my insurance company if it's a test they cover. Are you familiar with insurance issues?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:13 am 

I only deal with my own insurance issues. Most folks have no problems getting the blood test covered as long as your provider codes it right ( they can't code it as a routine screening ).

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:55 am 

I went to the doctor today and they did a pap and found I do not have a yeast or BV. But he did find that I have a bleeding/aggrivated cervix. :( So, at this point I do believe that I am still have a lingering OB and he instructed me to go ahead and take 800 mg / 3x a day for 5 days for the OB.

Oh and I requested an IGG and of course I got a puzzled look back and he asked why I wanted that. I don't know why doctors are so stubborn about that test. I told him what you told me in your previous email and he reluctantly said ok. So, I'll get those results back next week sometime I assume. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:13 am 

they didn' t think you had a cervicitis? they just thought it was all due to the herpes?

Glad you got the blood test - hopefully it was the right one!

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 pm 

Yes, I think he did think I might have cervicitis, but because I had it a little over a year ago he seemed to think that could be a concern. I also had some cryo stuff done about 4 or 5 years ago. So, he went ahead and did the pap and was going to get back in touch with me in a few days when the results come back.

Yes, I hope it was the right test. I specifically said IGG for type testing. I cross my fingers it's not the IgM.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next