ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:02 am 

So he didn't chose to treat your cervicitis?

When they call with your blood test results, write them down to post here and I can help you with them if you need it.

Hope all this is figured out soon for you and you get feeling back to normal again :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:12 am 

The doc wanted to wait for the results of the pap and a 'wet' STD test thing before treating the cervicitis. Although I already tested for everything at the same time I found out I had HSV.

I will let you know as soon as I know. Hopefully it won't take too long. And yes, I do hope I feel better soon. At this point I just feel like I have a lingering OB that is just irritated, but no blisters. The doc says I don't have yeast or BV though. But the irritation isn't getting any worse, just a little itchy and irritated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:07 pm 

Probably it's a wet mount aka gram stain that the doctor did. It means they smear a bunch of cells from your cervix on a slide, send it to the lab and the lab does a whole CSI type thing on it under a microscope and sees what sort of cells are there so that they can narrow down what it's likely to be causing the infection so that they can decide how to treat it.

Hopefully you get to the bottom of this all soon and can treat it and get back to feeling better :)

betsy

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 pm 

Betsy,

Just got the call back from my doctor with the info.

IGG
type 1 3.67
type 2 .24

So, positive for type 1 and negative for type 2 right? And with that...referring to your previous post about treating...supressive therapy isn't as effective for type 1?

Also found that I did have a little yeast, which is probably this darn lingering irritation I've been having. So, Diflucan for me! AND my pap came back abnormal so I have to go in and see a GYN and have a colposcopy and see what is going on down there. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:34 am 

Your lesion culture was just in early december. If your man hasn't gotten tested yet to know his status, you'll have to wait and repeat your blood test again in march to know for sure if it's hsv1 or hsv2 you have. would've been so much faster if they had typed your lesion culture :(

correct - most folks with hsv1 genitally don't benefit from suppressive therapy. It doesn't reoccur very often for more folks and doesn't shed often to make it worthwhile.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:53 am 

Just for clarification, after my results I just received, why would I need to be retested again in March? Are the results I just received not accurate enough to tell me it's HSV1? Should I stop treating via supressive therapy?

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:11 am 

If you contracted this from your partner just in december or late november, you might not be accurately testing on the blood tests which is why you need to repeat it since you've never gotten a typing of your lesion culture correct? If your partner got tested and found out he was only hsv1+ then I'd feel more comfortable saying you have hsv1 genitally but since you still don't know his status you'll need to repeat your blood test results. You can also stop suppressive therapy and if you get a repeat ob, go be seen within 24-48 hours of its appearance for another lesion culture and insist they type it.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:20 pm 

Hi Betsy,

I have a couple questions.

First question, with my current test results of HSV1 3.67 does that give any indication of it being newly contracted or is it possible it was something I could have gotten several months ago? When do you recommend I retest? I'm leary about requesting another test from my doctor, as they didn't feel me testing even this time to find out what type I was was necessary.

Second question...or peace of mind request. After my last irregular pap, my doctor referred me to a GYN (which I have an appt set for 2/10) and he submitted a reflux HPV test. I called today to find out if they got results back and this is what they said, "can not exclude high grade epathilial lesions and/or HPV. High grade squamous." Should any of this be cause of concern at this point? I know I shouldn't worry just yet since the GYN will do more testing, but I'm trying not to freak out and think the worst. Any kind words you could share? Or even if they aren't what I'd want to hear...would be nice to hear something. The next 6 days are going to be long ones.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:45 am 

my reply on 1/29 is why I recommended repeating your blood test in march. reread it again. If I'm remembering wrong and you did have your lesion culture typed - correct me please.

High grade squamous cells means that you have abnormal cells that need close watching on your cervix. Your results seem to show that they aren't sure if hpv is also present or not - typically it is the cause. Your gyn will go over this in more detail at your appointment but they will probably recommend a colposcopy to get a good look at things on your cervix. They will also have you come back for frequent follow up over the next year too to keep an eye on things and make sure that it clears up on its own as most do. It's incredibly anxiety provoking I know but keep reminding yourself that the vast majority of women get thru this without it progressing to anything else. It's just a long drawn out process until you are sure that you are part of the majority. Hang in there :)

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:24 am 

Hi Betsy,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm still a little confused about the reason for retesting. Yes, my initial ob was 12/06/09 and was initially diagnosed via culture but not typed. Then I requested my doctor do an IGG test 1/27 and the results were HSV1 3.67
HSV2 .24. I guess I'm not sure why these results would not seem conclusive enough and why I'd need to retest again in March.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:09 pm 

First let me answer part of your last question better - dogs woke me up at 4:30 a.m. today and I wasn't paying close enough attention when I replied earlier!! ( yes the dogs are yours if you want them - they are in the dog house THAT much this week...lol )

First question, with my current test results of HSV1 3.67 does that give any indication of it being newly contracted or is it possible it was something I could have gotten several months ago? When do you recommend I retest? I'm leary about requesting another test from my doctor, as they didn't feel me testing even this time to find out what type I was was necessary.

There is no way to tell from the blood test how long you've been infected. At this point we still don't know if your genital herpes is hsv1 or hsv2. About 1/3 of us in the US pick up hsv1 before we even step foot into kindergarten so your hsv1 could be oral and be something you've had for that long even.

You need to wait 4 months after the last time you had sex prior to your symptoms to repeat the blood test which would be around march. It can take that long for your body to have enough detectable igg levels for hsv to be detected. Since your provider didn't follow cdc guidelines and type your culture, this is delaying how long until you can know for sure if it's hsv1 genitally or hsv2 genitally going on :( Knowing your type is important because you and any future partners can't decide together what precautions to take until you know who has what. If you have hsv1 genitally, it tends not to shed very often and if a partner has hsv1 orally the risk of transmission is very , very low. If you have hsv1, you can still contract hsv2 genitally so you would need to take precautions with a partner who has hsv2. If you have hsv2, it's more likely to be transmitted so you'd want to take more precautions with a partner.

If you can contact your former partner and get them to get tested for hsv2 and share their results with you ( believe nothing unless you see it yourself ), you can get faster answers as to if you could possibly have hsv2 or not. You can even offer to pay for the testing as a way to get them to test and share. It's up to you.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:53 pm 

haha...thanks for the clarifications. Thanks for the offer, but I am not in the market for dogs...my cats wouldn't appreciate it. :)

At this point I think there are 2 men that could be factors in my HSV. One I no longer talk to, but have found out after my diagnosis, that he had it. The last time I had sex with him was about April or May of 2008. The other person I'm currently with now (since late November) for whatever reason hasn't gotten tested. I've brought it up a few times, but I still can't figure out why he won't go in. He doesn't currently have health insurance, but he is aware of other health care facilities/clinics that would offer free or low cost testing. I could offer to pay, but I'm not in the best financial situation these days. I will try to bring it up to him again. I've kept him updated on my results as they have developed.

Ok, I think I get where your coming from. That since I'd never been tested before, the HSV1 could have been something I'd been carrying already and isn't confirmed with my current HSVG. I guess my hesitation is approaching my doctor again in March and asking them to do the test again. He already was puzzled why I was asking for the IGG after I'd already known I had it from the culture (which wasn't typed by the hospital). I don't want to have to deal with their lack of knowledge. I was actually thinking about going to the Westover Heights Clinic since they are known to be very knowledgable of HSV. What do you think? Maybe Terri Warren is up for taking new patients. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 pm 

If you are near the clinic then by all means go!!! It's a terrific center and everyone there is terrific from what I've heard ( I"ve known Terri for years and she wouldn't have it otherwise either! ). They can do all your confirmatory testing for you right there without any questions and they keep all their testing as affordable as possible. Take your partner with you too - they can do a biokit hsv2 igg on him and have your answer for you in 20 minutes as to his status.

If you had contracted hsv2 from your partner back last spring - that would've been reflected on your last igg blood test so either this really is hsv1 genitally or you got it from your current partner.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:59 pm 

OK GREAT! I'll call them and see about making an appt and I'll talk to my partner and see if I can get him to go in with me.

Yes, I'm not far from the clinic at all and I've heard good things. I just didn't want to be doubling up on doctors and stuff. I have my regular primary care, recent hospital visits and then next week the GYN and geez...I wonder why I have no money! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:05 pm 

You can get your gyn stuff done there too. They do routine gyn care too.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next