ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:41 pm 

I have a question that my doctor says he can't answer, which is causing me extreme mental anguish. I was tested the first time for HPV in Oct. 2006 with my annual pap (routine part of annual now): tested negative for HPV & abnormal cells. In Dec. 2007 I was tested again for HPV & tested positive. Also tested positive for HPV in Nov. 2008. No cell abnormality in PAP in any test & I have never had any symptoms of HPV (no warts, etc..). I've been married for 18 years & I've never stepped out on my husband. My husband did cheat on me in Feb. 1997, so needless to say, this positive after a negative has me completely on the edge. My questions are:

1) Since I tested negative for HPV in 2006, then tested positive in 2007 & 2008, is it fair to say I have been exposed to the HPV within the past few years?

2) If yes cannot be applied to question #1, then is it possible I could have been exposed to HPV in 1997, test negative in 2006, then positive in 2007 & 2008?

3) What would be the odds of question #2 being yes?

My doctor has known me for a while, delivered my twins 6 years ago with high-risk so I saw him every other day for about 3 months while I lived in the hospital. For the first time in our communications, my doctor wouldn't look at me in the face when I asked the above questions. His reply was: "I can't answer those questions" I am deeply troubled as a result.

I need answers, and I can handle whatever they are. I've checked all over the internet for the past year or so & can't find anything relating to a NEGATIVE TEST, THEN POSITIVE TEST with exposure information. The forums & info sites always talk about how long you can incubate the virus before the symptoms, which I have never had. I am hoping desperately to get some answers here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

1) Since I tested negative for HPV in 2006, then tested positive in 2007 & 2008, is it fair to say I have been exposed to the HPV within the past few years?

You just don't know. HPV can exist latently at a level beneath which even sophisticated molecular tests can detect. Sadly, this test result offers no insight into how long the HPV may have been present.

2) If yes cannot be applied to question #1, then is it possible I could have been exposed to HPV in 1997, test negative in 2006, then positive in 2007 & 2008?

Yes on all counts.

3) What would be the odds of question #2 being yes?

I'm sorry to say I don't know how to answer this with any precision, but such a scenario would not be outlandish. It's plausible, but I don't know just how likely it is.

Let me dig around a bit on this one, ok?

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 pm 

Thank you, Fredo, for answering my questions, and for your willingness to look into question # 3. I am deeply grateful for your help. Just to be given an answer of some kind is a relief. For the first time since I tested positive, I am hopeful I might be given information that will bring solidity to this situation, whatever that may be. I am looking forward to hearing from you after your research. Thank you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

You are most welcome. I'm sorry I don't have better answers, but I'll relay to you any new information I come across.

Best always,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]