ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pain after Colposcopy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 pm 

Today I had my colposcopy and I am in so much pain. I feel as if knives have been stuck up inside me :cry: . The only good news is that the doctor stated that it was only a little bit at 11 and 1 and she believes that she got it all. I have a follow up in a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

That sounds miserable! I wonder if there's anything you can take, even over the counter, to feel better? Maybe the pharmacist can suggest something specific.

I'm sorry you're in pain, but hope you're better by the time you read this.

Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:25 pm 

Hey Fredo....unfortunately, I had another really horrible day...was on the verge of tears for most of it. I'm sure most people do not have such a strong negative reaction and I'm not sure why I am the lucky one. It hurts when I sit, stand, walk...basically anything I do. I'm going home to go to bed. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:03 pm 

Sorry to hear that! I've had two colpos... one with biopsies, one without. I never had much more than moderate/minor cramping afterwards personally, although I know some women have stabbing pains like you say. I'd say if you're still feeling the same level (or worse) of pain in a day or two maybe you should give your doctor's office a call and talk to a nurse there. At least that's what I would do... I always bother the nurses when I have questions. :) They can tell you if your pain is 'normal' or if they might want to see you again just to make sure you're healing up ok and/or prescribe you something to help. Hope you're feeling better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 pm 

After I had my first colpo/biopsy last May, I was in bed for two days. I had stabbing pains for months afterwards. Not constantly. I would be sitting at my desk at work, minding my own business, when all of a sudden it felt like someone was jabbing a pencil into my cervix. They eventually went away. All I can guess is that the dr sampled one of the supposedly few nerve endings down there.

Anyway, I am scheduled for another colpo a week from tomorrow so if any of you have any positive colpo stories, I would love to hear them!!!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:53 am 

oldfashiongirl wrote:
After I had my first colpo/biopsy last May, I was in bed for two days. I had stabbing pains for months afterwards. Not constantly. I would be sitting at my desk at work, minding my own business, when all of a sudden it felt like someone was jabbing a pencil into my cervix. They eventually went away. All I can guess is that the dr sampled one of the supposedly few nerve endings down there.

Anyway, I am scheduled for another colpo a week from tomorrow so if any of you have any positive colpo stories, I would love to hear them!!!!

I'm sorry you had such a bad time. Did you experience dryness in your vulva region as well? Did it hurt when you pee? My partner wants to have sex again but I don't know when I'm going to healed enough to try sex again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 pm 

No, I didn't have any dryness or burning when peeing. Don't let your partner pressure you into having sex if you don't want to. I didn't have sex with my husband for at least two months before and after. I had no interest in anything going in there after what I had experienced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:59 am 

I think you should see your doctor and ask him about any pain killers that you can take. But I heard pain after colposcopy is quite common.

Post subject: Post-colposcopy pain
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:57 am 

Hello,
I just got my first colposcopy yesterday, including a biopsy, and am also in rediculous amounts of pain. It sounds to me that the symptoms you experienced, veryconcerned1, are similar to my own (if any of that includes extreme dryness and swelling.) It's at the point where I'm not even physically able to remove the gauze that my doctor inserted to prevent bleeding. The post date says that the last entry here was three days ago, so I was wondering if you have since been given any information that might help me (couldn't find anything else online, and it may be a while before I can get another appointment with my doctor).
Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi curlytaildog,

I can only echo what I told veryconcerned: What you're experiencing sound just miserable, and I'm so sorry you're in such great discomfort. Can the clinic recommend anything at all to make you feel better? Maybe a pharmacist?

Oh gosh, I wish I had something to offer here!

Fredo

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:13 pm 

Wow, I haven't been back here for a while.....school's keeping me busy.

I'm so sorry to see people with such unhappy colpo stories :? I've only had one so far (hopefully won't need anymore for a while, but I'll be seeing a gyn again early April).

I had mine done during a follow-up after wart removal....I did a Pap smear and the colpo at the same time, as that gyn was already up there I guess two birds, one stone, no? I don't even think I really noticed much going on....mainly just the usual discomfort.

I hope that the rest of you have better ones in the future if/when you need them!

Post subject: Re: Post-colposcopy pain
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:17 am 

curlytaildog wrote:
Hello,
I just got my first colposcopy yesterday, including a biopsy, and am also in rediculous amounts of pain. It sounds to me that the symptoms you experienced, veryconcerned1, are similar to my own (if any of that includes extreme dryness and swelling.) It's at the point where I'm not even physically able to remove the gauze that my doctor inserted to prevent bleeding. The post date says that the last entry here was three days ago, so I was wondering if you have since been given any information that might help me (couldn't find anything else online, and it may be a while before I can get another appointment with my doctor).
Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

I'm feeling MUCH better now. After 3 days of awful pain, the pain actually subsided (although it still hurts a little when I pee and I'm still incredibly dry down there). I am hoping that this is it. That she will determine that she got it all and I can go back to my normal life. My follow up is on April 17th. I hope you feel better soon as well!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]