ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:32 pm 

Thank you Betsy. I do hope that things will smooth out eventually. I also heard about ehealthinsurance.com. Maybe you could pass that along to those who may need individual or family health insurance. Cobra is way out of my budget, but I should be ok.

And I will take your advise with asking for a 3 month supply. I have noticed lately that my prescription copay is the same whether there's 15 or 30 in the bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:52 am 

Not to add to all your woes but with pre-existing conditions going on right now - you might not qualify for other insurance unfortunately which is why cobra, though expensive is sometimes the best option until you get another job and get on their employee group insurance. Be sure to look into this all further.

betsy

Post subject: status update
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 am 

Hi Betsy,

I had my LEEP done yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. My doctor was great and provided me with pain meds and an anti anxiety pill to take before. I felt no pain during the procedure, just the pokes of the numbing shots before. I woke up with cramps this morning, but so far so good. I go back in on Monday for a follow up to make sure everything is healing ok and to get the results (unless he gets the results back the end of this week).

I had another OB a couple of weeks ago (3rd one including my initial) and so far they all seem to last 7 to 10 days, with or without Acyclovir. I haven't noticed that it helps to reduce the duration or severity. Is it too early for me to jump to any decision of how I want to treat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:30 am 

If you get another ob, go and get tested for yeast and bacterial infections first just to err on the side of caution. You've had a lot of things going on down yonder lately :( If they can't find anything else going on - go on suppressive therapy for a couple of months - you don't need any extra stress right now!

Glad everything went well yesterday :) Keep me posted on your results.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:41 pm 

I do believe I had a yeast infection with my last OB and was able to take some fluconozole and that itching went away and just the OB was left. I would hate to think that everytime I have an OB I have to spend more money and go in and see the doctor to have him tell me I have a yeast infection as well. :( When I go back to see my GYN on Monday I'll talk to him about this as well. I wish I could have refills on fluconozole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:49 pm 

Hey Betsy,

Ok, had the LEEP last week and today met with the doctor for a follow up and to get results. Surprisingly the recovery for the LEEP hasn't been as bad as the recovery from the 1st biopsy. The doctor told me today that from the first biopsy I had mild dysplasia and with the LEEP found that I had moderate dysplasia. He said that it looks like they got everything and I will go back in 4 months. So, hopefully that will be the last of my physical drama for the time being. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 am 

Fingers crossed for you!!!!

betsy

Post subject: Re: OB question -
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 pm 

Hi Betsy,

It's been awhile since I've responded. A quick run down before I ask my question. 12/08 I found I had HSV1-genitally and HPV. I also was diagnosed with mild dysplasia. I have been taking Acyclovir daily almost the whole time. Unfortunately, I seem to have an outbreak monthly along with a yeast infection. This past month was a rough one. I seem to get flu like symptoms (fever, upset stomach, achy).

I recently went back in for a check up and it was in the middle of an OB. They tested and found I did have a yeast infection as well. Luckily my biopsy came back fine. He did notice that I had some sores inside healing. So, I assume that my OB sores are up inside, which explains why I have a bit of bleeding during that time as well.

When I told my doctor about my continued frequent OB's (monthly) even though I'm taking Acyclovir daily, he said there is a chance that some strains can be resistant to Acyclovir. Have you heard of that before? He said there is a test the lab can do (taken during the first few days of an outbreak). Or the other option is to try taking Valtrex for a few months and see if that helps with the OB's. Unfortunately my medical insurance has just ended and I have no coverage. A month supply of Valtrex is over $300! Seems a bit outrageous. The test to find out of I'm Acyclovir resistant would cost me about the same.

Do you have any other advice? I really don't want to continue to have OB's + Yeast infections monthly.

Post subject: Re: OB question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:22 am 

I'd try to get your next symptoms cultured to confirm that they are due to herpes. having monthly ob's of hsv1 is highly unusual. Having no response to acyclovir is even more unusual.

less than 5% of folks have tk deficient strains of herpes as their predominant recurrences that make acyclovir and also valtrex ineffective on them. I'd rule out other causes of symptoms first.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 am 

Thank you for your quick response Betsy. And thank you for your advise. I'll have to check into costs again and see what my doctor's office is willing to do if I don't have insurance. I'll keep you posted on what I find out in case anyone else has this same issue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:36 am 

Hi Confused BP,

I just read through your posts and am wondering if you ever went back for the second blood test. I too tested positive for HSV 1 after one month after exposure. I'm getting a second blood test to be sure it's not HSV 2. Just wondering what your results were??

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4