ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:10 am 

Is NGU Chlamydia?
When my x- got his test results back he stated that he tested negative for Chlamydia, but after I did some research, looks like NGU is Chlamydia and causes Chlamydia in women. But then I have read other articles that seems to state that Chlamydia causes NGU. I guess what I am getting at is, is it possible for me to have had Chlamydia for years and not know? Keep in mind that I have had a healthy baby just four years ago and I only had sex one time during the 5th month of my pregnancy with the baby's father. After that we never had sex again because we broke up not long after the baby was born. Three and a half years later I began dating again and decided to have intercourse with this man and just last year I was pregnant. Could it be possible for me to have contracted Chlamydia from the baby's father and never know. I mean I would have had Chlamydia for 4 years without knowing and never been diagnosed with PID, never had any major pelvic problems nothing.
After he told me that he tested negative for Chlamydia I expected my results to state the same, but instead my results came back positive, so I began to think that I had Chlamydia for years without knowing, but still that wouldn't make any sense because if I had Chlamydia for years, he should have contracted Chlamydia from me a year ago. I don't feel that it was a coincidence that we both began to have symptoms of the disease around the same time he slept with someone else. Wouldn't I have had to have some kind of symptoms of Chlamydia within that 4 year time frame and shouldn't my baby have to had symptoms. I would think that I wouldn't have been able to be pregnant last year either since Chlamydia tears up our insides and causes infertility. He admitted to sleeping with someone else when we broke up. I read on http://www.urologychannel.com that most people who develop NGU for the first time do so 1 to 3 weeks after having sex with a new partner. My x- and I had been having sex for over a year and never had any problems of any sort until he told me that he had slept with someone else. Keeping this in mind, doesn't this mean that he contracted this from the other women and gave it to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi seven1,

NGU is nongonococcal urethritis, which means the urethra becomes inflamed and infected for reasons other than gonorrhea. CDC says chlamydia is involved in "15-55%" of cases, and the % related to chlamdyia declines in older age groups. So it's not a chlamydia diagnosis, but of course it's not rare that chlamydia is involved. About half of men with chlamydia don't have symptoms, but those that do often develop them in a few weeks following exposure.

I honestly don't know how long a woman can have chlamydia without it being detected. I suspect most cases wouldn't last for years, but I have to say that most women don't have symptoms, even when the infections spreads throughout the reproductive organs and becomes Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or PID: About 60% or so of PID is mild or silent. I have even heard of cases where women are diagnosed years after they think they may have been exposed, so I don't know...

All very confusing, to say the least. I wish I had more to tell you!

Fredo

Post subject: Thanks Fredo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:41 am 

Thanks for responding. I just felt like the percentage of me having chlamydia for four years and being able to have a healthy baby boy and being able to be pregnant again is something that should be very rare I would think. I would think that if I had chlamydia for four years I would have fertility problems. And like you said, that the cdc said, if a man has symptoms it is after a few weeks after the exposure. And I will tell you that we had been having sex for over a year and when he stepped outside our box just a few weeks after that he began to have symptoms. So...to me, I feel like I couldn't have had chlamydia all of those years. I mean to me looks like it was a coincidence that both of us began to have symptoms of chlamydia after he stepped outside our box.

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject: Re: Thanks Fredo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:21 am 

pulse
seven1 wrote:
Thanks for responding. I just felt like the percentage of me having chlamydia for four years and being able to have a healthy baby boy and being able to be pregnant again is something that should be very rare I would think. I would think that if I had chlamydia for four years I would have fertility problems. And like you said, that the cdc said, if a man has symptoms it is after a few weeks after the exposure. And I will tell you that we had been having sex for over a year and when he stepped outside our box just a few weeks after that he began to have symptoms. So...to me, I feel like I couldn't have had chlamydia all of those years. I mean to me looks like it was a coincidence that both of us began to have symptoms of chlamydia after he stepped outside our box.

Thanks again for your help.

Seven,

I just wanted to step in and recommend that you get tested as well. That should quell any worry you may have and either confirm or deny the possibility you have the disease. especially if you are considering having a child I would highly recommend getting tested...

Last edited by ShyTeen206 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]