ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:16 pm 

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with having genital HSV 1 back in February. I was in a relationship at the time and it would seem that I had the physical symptoms first and without recognising them passed it to my boyfriend, I was suffering with a lot of emotional stress at the time and feel that this was the cause of the HSV manifesting itself physically. I dont know however where i got it and presume that even though my boyfriend at the time said he never had it there is a possibility that I got it from him.

Anyway for a number of reasons the relationship ended and I then found myself very stressed having to deal with the upset of the breakup and then the thoughts of having to move on with HSV!!! I am now dating again but I suppose am reticent about getting involved for two reasons, the hurt from the last relationship and the thoughts of having to tell a new partner. I am so worried about scaring someone away.

I need to feel a bit more confident about the facts before I tell someone and need a few basic questions answered i.e.
- If someone has oral HSV 1 can they get gential HSV 1 from me??
- What are the stats on passing on gential HSV 1 to someone when you are not having an outbreak??
- Oral sex- can I pass it on by giving oral sex and can I pass it on by receiving??
- Is it true that it is less likely for a female to pass to a male?

I know it sounds like I haven't read anything, truth is I have but seems as I find it a stressful subject my absorbing the information has been impaired!!!!

Look forward to hearing back on my mammoth message!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi LadyS,

I think this post was intended for the herpes forum, so I'll move it over there.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:20 pm 

hsv1 genitally sheds about 3% of days which equals out to about a dozen or so days out of the year. The odds of having sex on one of those days is pretty low.

Your partner should be tested to know their own hsv1 and hsv2 status too. If they already have hsv1, they are incredibly unlikely to get hsv1 genitally from you. If they have hsv2, you need to discuss measures to reduce your odds of contracting that from them.

Unless you get obvious cold sores to know it, no way to easily know if you also have hsv1 orally. Talk with potential partners about using barrier protection if they want for oral sex if they test negative for hsv1.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]