ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spread orally?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:03 pm 

Hi,

I was diagnosed with HPV warts a few months ago...I had some doctor visits to have them removed, and will go again to find out if they're all at least visibly gone. (I'm female).

I'm being ultra careful with someone special. He knows that I have HPV warts, and though we may want to be more sexually active, we are very limited in what we do. I'm aware that warts can be transmitted with skin-on-skin contact, and maybe I'm being too cautious, I don't know. I know that 100% safe is a huge thing to ask for, so maybe you could tell me how unlikely it is to be caught, if it's not 100% safe?

1) Is it possible that there is the HPV wart virus in my mouth? My reasoning is that I may have performed oral sex on the person that I caught them from. Therefore, when I open-mouth kiss with this current man, is he getting exposed to HPV warts? We open-mouth kiss often, so has he already been exposed to it and possibly caught it?

2) Can I give oral sex to him? Is it 100% safe? I'm assuming it isn't safe, because I might have it in my mouth and then it would spread to him?

3) I'm assuming if he gives oral sex to me, then it might spread to his mouth?

4) We wash our hands a lot and don't touch one person's genital area with one hand if another has been touched with the same hand. Such as right hand for you, left hand for me!

Your answers would be very appreciated. We are being extra safe, and maybe we're being too restricted/safe -- neither of us knows. We want to keep him wart free. Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Most HPV infections are not harmful and clear on their own. Research indicates that oral sex is likely a risk for acquiring HPV infections, and deep kissing might be a risk, too. However, the exact risk isn't well understood and clinics are hardly flooded with people who have oral HPV diseases.

What you do hear largely depends on what the two of you are comfortable with. This might mean using barriers for oral sex (condoms and dental dams. I know, I know...). It's also reasonable not to perform oral sex on a partner who has warts present, although removing the lesions can't guarantee transmission won't occur.

I hope this helps. Post again if you have other questions.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:00 pm 

Hey there,

don't know if this helps, and its not really advice, but more me sharing my situation which relates to your concerns.

My girlfriend got genital warts from the she was with before me. she didn't know, and I assumed everything was fine based on her minimal past. Long story short, I got it from her about a year later. We had been performing oral sex on eachother before and after her diagnoses and my diagnoses. So far...neither of us have had any oral symptoms. I am not saying just go for it, but we've been together for 2 years and have not had any issues. I guess we both figure...if we were exposed orally, the damage was done before we even knew we had it. May not be the best way to look at it. I sometimes wonder if we had known that she had it before we started being physical, maybe we would have been more careful in everything we did.

I would suggest being safe and if he continues to show no symptoms and over time you clear the virus...then maybe you can loosen up a little....but i guess there is always a chance. That's the frustrating thing about GW....they just don't know enough yet. I'm always on edge and stressed out about it....will i ever get rid of it? Do we both have it orally and just don't know it? very frustrating. I say do what makes you both feel comfortable...if being safe gives you peace of mind then continue being safe.

Best of luck:)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]