ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:50 am 

last year aug. i was misdiagnosed with HSV1&2. I am now very skeptical of any test a doctor gives me without conclusive evidence and im trying to educate myself as best as i can. September 08 i also got a pap done (my first ever) and it came back with "abnormal" - LSIL is present (encompassing HPV changes and mild dsyplasia/CIN). at the time i was applying for insurance and got denied due to this abnormal papsmear. i was so perplexed about the HSV diagnosis i didnt do much research on HPV. come to find out that all the irritation was from a severe latex condom allergy. i have only had 1 sexual partner.

February 09 i decided to do a colposcopy and biospy to clarify my abnormal pap. the gyno did the vinegar test and everything came up normal and appeared normal. i told her to go ahead and do the biospy to make sure and the biospy came back normal. is it possible that i could of had an abnormal papsmear due to inflammation or a reaction to the latex condom? also does this mean that i have HPV? I am very CONFUSED. i thought the colposcopy would confirm the presence or absence of the virus. i feel like my doc really misguided me about the diagnosis and what a coloposcopy would determine. because when i asked them for a letter to give to my insurance company about the colposcopy they said they cant give it to me because it doesnt mean i dont have hpv. what test do i need to take to confirm what strain of HPV i have if i have it? i am moving fwd with my life and dating now.. i dont want to be dishonest with anyone.. if i have hpv should i not engage in oral sex? what should i be aware about handling this situation? Any advice would be appreciated!

PLEASE HELP!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:17 pm 

speaktru wrote:
last year aug. i was misdiagnosed with HSV1&2. I am now very skeptical of any test a doctor gives me without conclusive evidence and im trying to educate myself as best as i can. September 08 i also got a pap done (my first ever) and it came back with "abnormal" - LSIL is present (encompassing HPV changes and mild dsyplasia/CIN). at the time i was applying for insurance and got denied due to this abnormal papsmear. i was so perplexed about the HSV diagnosis i didnt do much research on HPV. come to find out that all the irritation was from a severe latex condom allergy. i have only had 1 sexual partner.

February 09 i decided to do a colposcopy and biospy to clarify my abnormal pap. the gyno did the vinegar test and everything came up normal and appeared normal. i told her to go ahead and do the biospy to make sure and the biospy came back normal. is it possible that i could of had an abnormal papsmear due to inflammation or a reaction to the latex condom? also does this mean that i have HPV? I am very CONFUSED. i thought the colposcopy would confirm the presence or absence of the virus. i feel like my doc really misguided me about the diagnosis and what a coloposcopy would determine. because when i asked them for a letter to give to my insurance company about the colposcopy they said they cant give it to me because it doesnt mean i dont have hpv. what test do i need to take to confirm what strain of HPV i have if i have it? i am moving fwd with my life and dating now.. i dont want to be dishonest with anyone.. if i have hpv should i not engage in oral sex? what should i be aware about handling this situation? Any advice would be appreciated!

PLEASE HELP!

When I had my abnormal pap..my doctor requested that the cells be tested for the presence of HPV because I am over 40. It came back as positive for high risk HPV (but did not specify which strain). I had a calpo done in April in which the doctor removed cells from 11 and 1 on my cervix. That came back with benign tissue. She simply recommended that I get tested again in August and that if I came back abnormal again, she would look higher into my endo-cervical area.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:45 pm 

[/quote]

When I had my abnormal pap..my doctor requested that the cells be tested for the presence of HPV because I am over 40. It came back as positive for high risk HPV (but did not specify which strain). I had a calpo done in April in which the doctor removed cells from 11 and 1 on my cervix. That came back with benign tissue. She simply recommended that I get tested again in August and that if I came back abnormal again, she would look higher into my endo-cervical area.[/quote]

im only 24. did your abnormal cells test come back with LSIL? did she do the vinegar test during the colposcopy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

September 08 i also got a pap done (my first ever) and it came back with "abnormal" - LSIL is present (encompassing HPV changes and mild dsyplasia/CIN)...February 09 i decided to do a colposcopy and biospy to clarify my abnormal pap. the gyno did the vinegar test and everything came up normal and appeared normal. i told her to go ahead and do the biospy to make sure and the biospy came back normal.

Couple of possibilities. First, Paps aren't specific tests for HPV of course, but can detect cell changes that are suggestive (perhaps very strongly) of HPV. A Pap with a reading of mild dysplasia is most often HPV related in women under 30, but not always. A colpo/biopsy looks for - and takes samples of - areas where lesions (abnormal cell changes) are detected. If no such areas are present, the procedure won't detect much other than that things look normal.

HPV DNA testing is not typically done with women your age, and is only approved for women 30 and over as part of cervical cancer screening. Even if you had HPV last year, you would likely begin testing negative within 6-24 months, so a negative test now would not necessarily give good guidance about whether you had the virus last winter.

Oral sex? There's been some research here. It seems possible that oral sex is a risk factor for HPV, but I don't think it's clear how often this might happen. HPV-related head and neck diseases are pretty rare, to be sure, so there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming worry about that at this point.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]