ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: HPV GW questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:58 pm 

Thanks for all you do Fredo.

Last edited by JT on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Hi JT,

Yeah, getting the new symptom checked out is a good idea; who knows if in fact that's wart or not? If it is they should be able to treat it easily enough, if needed. Second-hand smoke hasn't been proven to make it more difficult to clear warts, although some small studies suggest it might have a role in causing HPV to persist longer. Stress might also be a factor.

I wish I could tell you more. Hard to figure out the "who" and "when" aspects. You and your girlfriend aren't likely to "ping pong" the virus back and forth but some experts would say to consider using condoms if you have sex while a wart is present. You aren't likely to make things more complicated if you don't, though.

Best,
Fredo

Last edited by Fredo on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:30 pm 

Hey JT -

I had a similar situation. My GF found out 3 months into our relationship that symptoms she had before we started being physical were GW (at the time it never occured to us that they could have been anything because she was not very physical prior to me). Long story short, I remember one particular night where I felt and abrasion or friction burn on the right side of the base of my penis. I had assumed that it was just because she had shaved a few days prior and was growing back in and we "went" for a rather long time. Needless to say, a year into the relationship I had my first outbreak right at that spot...I think the abrasion allowed the virus to move in and I have not yet been able to evict it. It comes back in the same spot a few weeks after every treatment i've had...very frustrating.

My advice though...try not to let this be the reason that you two are on and off with your relationship. I had a very difficult time getting passed this in my own situation, but I stuck by her and realized she is also a victim...she had no idea and so did nothing intentional to me. Took me a while to understand that and believe it. But now, things are great (aside from our wart issues from time to time)...and we are getting married. End of the day, i think it's true what they say...HPV is so common it's like the flu. Hope that helps a little...best of luck to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:20 pm 

Hey Fredo, thanks for your replies, and Tictoc too.

She finally got her PAP report acouple days ago and everything is clear.

Last edited by JT on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:47 pm 

Last edited by JT on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Pap tests don't check for HPV, only for cervical cell changes. Most women with any HPV type will never have an abnormal Pap test as a result.

Also, the types of HPV that cause warts are, most often, not the same as those usually associated with abnormal Pap tests. Since most cases of HPV never result in visible symptoms, the majority of cases are never diagnosed and will clear without the person ever being aware they were even exposed to the virus.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]