ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: vulva biopsy?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 pm 

Hi,

I've had a wart for a while and tried freezing it off with about 4 or5 sessions. I went to a different GYN and she said it's still there, and she's going to cut it off this Tuesday. She called it a vulva biopsy. There might be a need for one stitch. Have you heard of this procedure? Any thoughts on it? She said it's a good way to get rid of it, after having tried other options. I'm assuming that once it's off it's not gone for good, since HPV warts are always in the skin, but at least this wart will be gone and less likely to spread to someone else...correct? I feel dumb for not getting a second opinion.

Thank you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi paper,

Sometimes a biopsy serves a couple of purposes: it gives a sample they can look at in the lab if they want, and it can also be a treatment by removing whatever is there to begin with. Biopsies aren't usually done with warts but sometimes they are, and might actually be sufficient "treatment" with small warts.

It's true that no treatment removes the underlying virus, HPV, that causes genital warts but in most cases, the immune response clears HPV over time and recurrences, if they happen at all, don't usually persist and happen over and over.

It's not known if removing warts makes HPV less likely to be transmitted to a partner, although a number of experts speculate that it does. For more on this read our thread at
http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=394.

I hope this helps. Post anytime you have a question or just want to chat.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:26 pm 

Thank you very much Fredo!!! Your answers on this forum are very much appreciated.

One other question -- you mean that recurrences of warts don't occur over and over? That would be a relief...

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
you mean that recurrences of warts don't occur over and over?

Recurrences aren't rare, but it is uncommon for them to keep happening over and over indefinitely. Usually, the immune system steps up and keeps this from happening. In some cases, though, frequent recurrences and stubborn warts do happen, and this might be seen more often, for example, in someone who smokes (smokers have a harder time clearing and remaining clear of warts), or perhaps is under great stress, doesn't get enough rest, is dealing with an illness, and so on.

Approximately 90% of HPV infections clear naturally in 6-24 months, though.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:15 pm 

Thank you! I really appreciate your answers and information.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]