ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 am 

i got diagnosed with highrisk HPV last year, 6 months later my pap was normal, , at the one year mark from initial diagnosis of HPV, by pap came back abnormal and i was diagnosed with severe dysplasia (CIN-3), my gyno suggested i go to see a naturopath(might help, couldnt hurt) to help boost my immunity, which i did, but here my q. As i was talking to him i felt he was judging me for my "past", he kept asking if my boyfriend had gential warts, im not a sexually active person ,havent been sexually active in years, so my questions is.. and i think i know the answer to this already.. do genital warts cause highrisk HPV? (that is all he kept asking was if any past relationship had warts, to which i replied no) Im not a fan of naturopaths to start with, though i did get all the supplements he suggested (which were all that i already knew to take, just not the amount and boy are they nasty), he did recomend i not do the conization and try the holistic way, um no thanks.. just get the damaged cells out of me already.............anyway, im gonna take all the supplements for immunity boosting, get the conization and see where i go from there, sort of dread going back to see him 3 months post procedure
just not sure why he was fixating on genital warts...
thanks for listening

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi jme,

Thanks for your post. There's a good bit of confusion about the different types of HPV, and for sure low-risk types of HPV (that can cause genital warts) don't give become or give rise to high-risk types of the virus. Now a person could have more than one HPV type, but one doesn't cause or lead to the other.

CIN-3 is almost always related to high-risk HPV, not anything to do with warts. The conization procedure (sometimes referred to as cone biopsy) has an advantage beyond treating the affected area: it provides a tissue sample that can be evaluated at the lab.

I hope this helps. Take care and let us know how you're doing, if you don't mind.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]