ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:03 pm 

I posted earlier on the HSV board with questions(thankfully tested negative after waiting 3 months)-but I was told the other day by my Gyno that I have HPV and Vulvadynia. (Recently sexually active for the 1st time in over 3 years) I am left with so many questions and subsequent tears. I don't understand several things that are going on. Hopefully someone here can provide some insight.
-At the beginning of this year I had a yeast infection because of antibiotics-went to the Gyno for my annual and had my 1st abnormal pap. Had a colposcopy done and everything was fine. He said that it may have been abnormal because of the infection...now leaping forward...
-The Gyno I have now told me that the fact that the previous pap was abnormal meant that I had HPV then-but there was NO mention of that by the other doctor???
-Since the time that I had sex I have been itching and burning pretty much everyday. I had a yeast infection and BV. Treated for those but symptoms still persist.
-The last visit involved a vulvar colposcopy and biopsy of abnormal tissue.
Out of concern she told me that I have HPV but that the pathologist did NOT specify if the abnormal tissue was precancerous or cancerous-what does that mean???
There was also no record from the pathologist of what strain of HPV that it is...
[u][b]Questions:[/b][/u]
-how can HPV not be mentioned to me in the first place when I had my 1st abnormal pap??
-How can they just say you have HPV with no further info on it being cancerous or not??
-Does the indication of abnormal cells on the vulva [u]automatically [/u]mean that I now have genital warts?? Do people with genital warts just wait around to see if they actually develop warts?? The current Gyno didn't metion seeing warts or anything when she did the colposcopy...
I'm sorry but at this point I am so confused and a little angry because I am not getting any clear information from my doctor. She wants me to use aldara in hopes that the abnormal cells will clear and for me to come back in 4 to 5 weeks for a re-examination. Please provide some clarity for me if you can...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Hi rustedwings,

Thanks for your post. Vulvodynia is a problem for many women, no doubt. The exact cause of the condition is not too well defined, but HPV is not thought to be a likely or common factor.

Read more about vulvodynia at http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr09-29-06-1.cfm

Questions:

-how can HPV not be mentioned to me in the first place when I had my 1st abnormal pap??

Not knowing what the Pap results showed, it’s difficult for anyone other you’re your health care provider to address this. Paps can be abnormal for a number of reasons, including the presence of cell changes related to HPV cell changes. If you have questions, ask your current provider why he or she thinks your previously abnormal Pap was due to HPV.

-How can they just say you have HPV with no further info on it being cancerous or not??

Vulvar cancers aren’t very common, but here too ask her what your follow-up should be. Sometimes they just keep an eye on vulvar lesions (cell changes) as they often clear naturally; in other cases treatment is indicated.

-Does the indication of abnormal cells on the vulva automatically mean that I now have genital warts?? Do people with genital warts just wait around to see if they actually develop warts?? The current Gyno didn't metion seeing warts or anything when she did the colposcopy...

Women can have abnormal vulvar cell changes, similar to what is found with the cervix. Or, they can have genital warts. She should be able to sort this out for you. Genital warts are classically diagnosed with a visual inspection, but they can be small and difficult to see.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry I couldn't provide better answers. Post again if you want to chat some more.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:25 pm 

I appreciate any time that you have to respond to my questions. I spoke with my doctor's nurse today and she told me the doctor said that the abnormal area was not wart related and told me to research more about asc-us and asc-h as well as low grade cervical squamous intraepithelial lesions (LSIL).
During the vulvar colposcopy she didn't mention anything other than the abnormal cells looking odd to her. She wants me to use Aldara on the abnormal area.
I really want to speak with the person that I was with because I feel I need to but I also feel I can't until I have all of this straightened out.
I have 2 more questions:
1. Do people just wait to see if warts develop? As I understand it there's no test to tell you what type of HPV you have-unless its potentially cancerous
2. I developed a spot that looked like a pimple with nothing in it, I had her look at it and she said it looked like a swollen gland-pardon the description here-I left it alone and it did finally "bust" and now it feels like a very small bump is still there. Does this sound like a wart to you? I don't know how they typically start/develop.
Thank you again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]