ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:51 am 

Hi, I had HPV two years ago that resulted in a small genital wart. I used cream and it went away entirely and has since never came back. My doctor told me that if it went away for 6-12 months, my body had fought it off/resolved it, etc., and that I didn't need to worry about having it or transmitting it. With that information in hand, I did not tell my current boyfriend that I had HPV two years ago.

However, I just discovered what I believe is another genital wart. It is different than before (location and appearance), and I will go to the doctor tomorrow to confirm that it is HPV. My current boyfriend and I became sexually active 2 months ago, but we have not had sex during the last month (long distance).

My questions are the following:
1. Is there a way of knowing if this is a new or old infection? Is one possibility stronger than the other?
2. How likely is it that my boyfriend has already been exposed?
3.How should my boyfriend and I proceed sexually?
a. If we assume he has been exposed vs if we assume he hasn't been exposed do we proceed differently?
b. How long should we wait until after the wart goes away to be sexually active again?
c. Are we going to give each other HPV back and forth?

Thank you for the information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:59 am 

Typically it's assumed that if a wart is gone for a year and you then get another one that it's a different type of hpv. Not perfect assumptions by no means but it's the best we can do at this time.

Did you by chance get your gardasil shots at all?

Have you talked to your current partner at all about this new wart that's shown up?

did you make an appointment to have it removed?

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 am 

Hi Betsy,

I just added another questions about treatment...where I ask about best removal options!

Yes, I got the Gardsil shots, but I can't exactly remember when I got them relative to the first outbreak. I think I got the first shot right around getting the first wart...actually yes...I remember wondering if somehow the shot gave me HPV!

I have talked to my partner. He's never had any signs of HPV, and is unaware of his previous partner having any signs either.

Once the wart is gone, how long should we wait to be sexually active again? We are abstaining at the moment.

Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]